Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   First real attempt at FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-real-attempt-fmq-t57341.html)

catrancher 08-01-2010 02:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I'm finishing up a Downy quilt, which I'm calling "Grand Slam," for it's tennis theme. When I made my first Downy quilt, I was going to try learning to FMQ on it. Finally, on my third quilt, I actually gave it a try. I'm thinking it didn't turn out too bad. I read some articles, and I watched some tutorials, and I finally got bold. I decided to do a different design in each square, and I learned SO MUCH on just this one quilt. I learned which things I can do easily and well, and I learned what tools helped, the Supreme Slider winning the prize. I'm not very happy with my gloves, however. I'm using Fons & Porter (a company I like less each day). Since I've never tried anything else, I don't really know how well they function as quilting gloves. I do know that I hate the way my clipped threads cling to them like scotch tape. I can't get them off without taking the gloves off. If any of you have recommendations about gloves, I'd like to hear them. Anyway . . . here's my quilt, followed by some of my better blocks.

And, BTW, I know you hand quilters will sniff at the sight of these, but since I'm never going to be a hand-quilter (nor do I want to be), this is as good as it gets.

This is one of hers too.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89643[/ATTACH]

This is my favorite. I was trying to do one of hers, but I got totally lost. This is what I ended up with, and it's not half bad. None of these will win a prize, but I think I did okay for a first try.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89798[/ATTACH]

Grand Slam
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89860[/ATTACH]

Inspired by Leah Day, but since mine doesn't look like hers, I guess this one is my own creation.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89861[/ATTACH]

This one is definitely Leah Day's. I was able to do this one pretty easily.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89862[/ATTACH]

Lakeview Quilting 08-01-2010 02:36 PM

It looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

Stitchnripper 08-01-2010 02:37 PM

wowzer! for a first project that is pretty fantastic!

nana pat 08-01-2010 02:37 PM

I am proud of your boldness in giving it a try. So far the only FMQ I've done is a small meandering. I had to borrow a machine to do it and I also didnt like using the gloves. I like all the different patterns you tried, keep up the good work. :lol:

scrappycats 08-01-2010 02:37 PM

Oh WOW I am so impressed. I am doing like you working on building up my FMQ and so I really know how much practice it takes. Your stitches are sooooo good.

Crlyn 08-01-2010 02:38 PM

Good for you, I think you have done a wonderful job! :D

Lakeview Quilting 08-01-2010 02:40 PM

Sent you a PM too.

LeeAnn 08-01-2010 02:40 PM

It looks great to me. Good job.

Skyqueen30094 08-01-2010 02:41 PM

Goodness I never thought to try on the Downey quilts i've made several and just do a straight line Love the way you tried other stitches than just meandering got me thinking

Jim's Gem 08-01-2010 02:46 PM

You did a great job quilting that!!!!