Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Fixing a Lone Star Gone Wrong (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fixing-lone-star-gone-wrong-t106776.html)

grammysharon 03-13-2011 07:02 PM

Turned out beautifully :thumbup:

jillaine 03-14-2011 05:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
All right; top *piecing* is finished (although I might add another border). I'm now adding just a few applique'd roses randomly, and I *may* add some embroidered vines and leaves and buds. But the worst is over.

I also have to figure out what I'm putting on the back of this thing.

Overall (but you can't see the corners and edges)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169638[/ATTACH]

Detail of the corners; very happy with how this came out
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169639[/ATTACH]

Gryphon approves (cuz y'know, all quilts are for him!)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169640[/ATTACH]

bernie 03-14-2011 07:14 AM

I wish I had thought of doing something like this before I tossed mine out about 25 years ago, mine bubbled up in the center, and there was NO quilting it down. Yours looks great. Good job.

vharris 03-14-2011 08:25 AM

I actually like it better! Oh my gosh it's beautiful! Geat job!

Vickymomof6 03-14-2011 08:39 AM

Looks GREAT all fixed up like that!

gal288 03-14-2011 11:14 AM

I love it! Good work girl.
do you have enough of the rose print, or the Green? They would make a nice back.

Prissnboot 03-14-2011 11:17 AM

Great fix!!! And beautiful inspector on the "before" pic too, I might add...

postal packin' mama 03-16-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
Before you sew the diamonds together it is best to square up them. My girlfriend made me a template for this.
then you can sew them together.
I have made several of these. Squaring up keeps the bump in the middle away.

Is that template the desired final shape of the diamond segment? Also, when you say 'square up the diamonds' prior to sewing them together, does that allude to making sure they're all the same outer dimensions, using that template? I'm trying to learn how to avoid the center bump, too, so am very interested in any advice before I launch into a lone star. Thanks for mentioning that, too.

Grandma58 03-16-2011 05:53 PM

When you get ready to sew a star send me a pm I will be happy to talk you through it- they are really easy.

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama

Originally Posted by suezquilts
Before you sew the diamonds together it is best to square up them. My girlfriend made me a template for this.
then you can sew them together.
I have made several of these. Squaring up keeps the bump in the middle away.

Is that template the desired final shape of the diamond segment? Also, when you say 'square up the diamonds' prior to sewing them together, does that allude to making sure they're all the same outer dimensions, using that template? I'm trying to learn how to avoid the center bump, too, so am very interested in any advice before I launch into a lone star. Thanks for mentioning that, too.

Grandma58 03-16-2011 05:56 PM

When I have puffy stuff going on in quilts others bring me I add an extra layer of wool batting in that area, a little larger then the actual area- of course I am using a long arm which helps. I like dream wool batting because it is puffier- you also can not tell on the finished project that extra has been added.

Originally Posted by jillaine
All right; top *piecing* is finished (although I might add another border). I'm now adding just a few applique'd roses randomly, and I *may* add some embroidered vines and leaves and buds. But the worst is over.

I also have to figure out what I'm putting on the back of this thing.