Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Fixing a Lone Star Gone Wrong (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fixing-lone-star-gone-wrong-t106776.html)

postal packin' mama 03-16-2011 07:50 PM

[quote=Grandma58]When I have puffy stuff going on in quilts others bring me I add an extra layer of wool batting in that area, a little larger then the actual area- of course I am using a long arm which helps. I like dream wool batting because it is puffier- you also can not tell on the finished project that extra has been added.

Great tip - thanks!

ladyshuffler 03-18-2011 01:37 PM

Looks great to me ...can't wait for you to FMQ and send another picture when yo are finished!!

jillaine 03-18-2011 02:39 PM

dang it... what's FMQ? oh wait, let's see if I can guess:

freehand machine quilt?

That's actually a good next question: how would you quilt this? I normally do stitch-in-ditch. But I see that lonestars are frequently quilted a 1/4" on either side of the seam-- at least within the stars.

Keep in mind folks: I have a early '90s (as in 1990s) Singer portable.

But I won't be quilting anything until I find enough fabric for the back of this. (It's about 4x6') What? Of *course* I didn't purchase backing at the time I made the quilt!

%-\

-- Jillaine

Grandma58 03-18-2011 03:48 PM

Is there a long arm near you that you can rent to quilt it? As for quilting in the ditch unless you are hand quilting I wouldn't.

That's actually a good next question: how would you quilt this? I normally do stitch-in-ditch. But I see that lonestars are frequently quilted a 1/4" on either side of the seam-- at least within the stars.

But I won't be quilting anything until I find enough fabric for the back of this. (It's about 4x6') What? Of *course* I didn't purchase backing at the time I made the quilt!

%-\

-- Jillaine[/quote]

jillaine 03-18-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma58
Is there a long arm near you that you can rent to quilt it? As for quilting in the ditch unless you are hand quilting I wouldn't.

I don't know nothin' 'bout LAQs. Nada. Zip. Rien.

Why wouldn't you ditch-stitch on a machine?

Grandma58 03-18-2011 04:03 PM

%-\

-- Jillaine[/quote]

omak 03-28-2011 06:44 AM

It looks pretty good to me, but I am more concerned about the (sigh) after you said you had found a couple more mistakes.
Frankly, I am not sure what you see that is a mistake from the "fix", so I am pretty confident that most people would never know that you have done anything but create a different version of a quilt they really don't understand to begin with <g>.
Considering all you have learned changing up your Lone Star Gone Wrong, would you really want to not make mistakes and learn something new?
Sort of like spilt milk - - can't cry over it, but I do believe that I have learned more spilling the milk than I ever learned with everything going swimmingly.
Over a lot of time, I have learned that experiencing mistakes and solutions has taught me more about me and the world I live in than if I had waited to know everything before I ever tried. More exciting, too! LOL <wave>
Having said all of that, everyone PLEASE! Do your best every time you try. Do NOT try to make mistakes so that you will learn the lesson the hard way <g> ... just don't be too hard on yourself; allow yourself to learn, no matter what the situation or medium <wave>

jillaine 03-28-2011 11:30 AM

omak, thanks for the encouraging words. All good reminders.

- jillaine

gal288 04-02-2011 05:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a border idea.

6" wide, colors can be changed to yardage you have left.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178559[/ATTACH]

jillaine 04-02-2011 05:54 AM

Thanks, Peg,

Not sure I have enough of any one fabric to have just a two-color triangle border, but this gives me some ideas. LOVE your partnership in this, Peg!!!

oh, question: is there text in the middle? If so, I can't read it.

-- Jillaine