Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   FMQ'ing around (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fmqing-around-t217731.html)

NancyQuilts 03-29-2013 05:03 PM

I just bought a Brother Nouvelle on a Grace Frame this week! Have had a great time playing with it all week. Can't wait until I can match the beauty you created, love it! Today When I was practicing I thought I had done a great job...but when I looked at the back I realized that the top thread was looped (not bird-nested, just loopes about an eight on an inch) underneath and the bottom thread was just fine. Any ideas anyone?

lisalisa 03-29-2013 05:09 PM

Sounds like you're taking about eyelashing? Oh the horror. I found it was usually the presser foot not being down or the thread coming out of the tension discs. It can slip out but appear to be fine. This is why it's important to know your machine, what it sounds like when it's doing a proper job, vs what it sounds like when it's not. This way you know when to stop and check. The first quilt I practiced on had horrible eye lashing but was fine on the front. So I covered it up and called it a win. NEXT

RedGarnet222 03-29-2013 06:11 PM

You absolutly need to do something with that piece! There are so many neat trial stitches on it!

liking quilting 03-29-2013 06:34 PM

Oh, you made me laugh with #3 desc. of "toe catchers." I've heard others describe "eye lashes" but your's is the best desc. yet! I'm just progressing past the "toe catcher" stage (most of the time!). Love your current level of quilting. Hope I can get there too!

fleurdelisquilts 03-29-2013 07:08 PM

I can repeat that "keep going" mantra! I started about two years ago also. I work full time and now am back in the classroom, so there's little time for anything after grading essays for hours on end. Still, I spend every second possible quilting and practicing. I was looking at a quilt I made some time ago and could not believe that my quilting was so bad! I'd be ashamed but my kids saw the quilt and begged, begged! for it. Keep going, keep going, absolutely keep going. Also keep a sample of what you're doing now so you can go back in a couple of years and ask yourself was I really that bad???!!!

Picture #2 has me green as your thread with envy!

Kwiltr 03-29-2013 07:33 PM

Just curious what you're quilting with? Domestic, mid arm, long arm? Thanks. I'm kinda in between your 1 and 2. Not sure I'll ever be great at it, but it's fun trying!

lisalisa 03-29-2013 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kwiltr (Post 5964465)
Just curious what you're quilting with? Domestic, mid arm, long arm? Thanks. I'm kinda in between your 1 and 2. Not sure I'll ever be great at it, but it's fun trying!

Lol. That's flattering. I just use a cheapo bottom of the line singer DM. "Singer simple". It's been through a lot, quite regularly loses timing and in general makes me want to throw a fit but it gets the job done.

If you're in between, go check out zentangle drawings. This helped me tremendously to take it to another level.

Baloonatic 03-30-2013 05:56 AM

As the saying goes, you've come a long way, Baby! I really like your FMQ!!

gabeway 03-30-2013 06:05 AM

Looking great!

Helen S 03-30-2013 07:26 AM

Very pretty!
I've been playing with some of the zen quilting ideas too and just love the look, but still need some practice. It IS amazing how we evolve over time. Practice, practice and more practice, and don't forget to press that sandwich down firmly when moving it! It helps a LOT with control! ;) I've even found I can make a straight line! :thumbup: