Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   FMQ'ing around (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fmqing-around-t217731.html)

lisalisa 03-29-2013 02:51 PM

FMQ'ing around

3 Attachment(s)
Three things have been dancing around in my head.

1: Zen Tangle. So cool.

2: This ribbon thing I saw in a magazine. SUPER cool.

3: This tile thing I saw on some site (?). Tres cool!

This is just a practice piece. I have this huge cone of green thread so I just went for it. I attempted to do some shading with a darker color on the ribbons and the tiles and it kind of fell apart. This will work much better with contrasting threads. I probably won't finish it because I'm just testing, but I think it came out pretty cool. Especially considering where I started about 2 years ago. (see photo 3)
Keep on practicing!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]405166[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]405167[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]405168[/ATTACH]
Yikes! :shock:

Cyn 03-29-2013 03:24 PM

I'm working at your picture number 3 level. How long before you could do the first 2?

lisalisa 03-29-2013 03:33 PM

About 2 years. Mind you, I had a baby in between all of that and had some down time. I'm sure I'd be miles above that if I was practicing the entire time.

Once the idea of echoing simple shapes sinks in, it gets easier. Of course half the battle is overcoming machine difficulties. Much of what was in picture number 3 was the machine misbehaving. Those toe catchers are a result of me moving my hands too fast and the needle too slow.

Hang in there. You'll get it!

Grandma Bonnie 03-29-2013 03:34 PM

You've come a long way!!!!

QuiltnNan 03-29-2013 04:12 PM

nicely done, great improvement

noveltyjunkie 03-29-2013 04:15 PM

Very encouraging! Your work is lovely, and that green is so pretty- surely you can use it for something- it's too nice to just leave aside as a practice piece.

LynnVT 03-29-2013 04:17 PM

Yeah, picture 3 looks familiar to me. I'm just a bit past that, but practicing all the time on a borrowed Sweet Sixteen. Have a nice quilt that needs doing, but I'm afraid to work on. So I'm doing practice pieces, including a cheater panel that works as a great "coloring book" with lines to follow as I get the feel of the motion. Yours is now a work of art! Is that a face in the upper left quadrant?

Christine- 03-29-2013 04:37 PM

Wow that is beautiful!!!!!

lisalisa 03-29-2013 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT (Post 5963957)
Yeah, picture 3 looks familiar to me. I'm just a bit past that, but practicing all the time on a borrowed Sweet Sixteen. Have a nice quilt that needs doing, but I'm afraid to work on. So I'm doing practice pieces, including a cheater panel that works as a great "coloring book" with lines to follow as I get the feel of the motion. Yours is now a work of art! Is that a face in the upper left quadrant?

That's great. I only recently thought about using a cheater cloth. It's a good way to legitimize it. I have some I'm thinking about busting out.

I'm not anywhere near being able to do this on a big piece. But it's my goal and I'll get there.

I did not put a face on there(I can see it! lol). It's just a bunch of tightly packed swirls. My camera didn't want to photograph it so well.

Those of you that are stuck on 3. Keep going. Keep going. Keeeeep going!

labug 03-29-2013 04:52 PM

Love it! I hope I get that good