Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Fund raising quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fund-raising-quilt-top-t315043.html)

fatsewcat 04-10-2021 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Abashobbes (Post 8474808)
My 17 year old daughter finished her quilt top this morning and I get to quilt it. She's raising $ for her service club at school and will have a drawing for those who contribute to the cause. I'm very proud of her. It's been a great effort.
any suggestions for quilting?

mage did a great job. It’s a beautiful quilt! Hope it does a well!

Tartan 04-10-2021 05:15 PM

Fantastic quilt top! Maybe have her go over some pictures of quilting designs. Are you using a long arm or your sewing machine? If you are using your sewing machine, I might just stitch in the ditch the top design as not to distract from the piecing. If using a long arm, I might pick a design that has circles little ripples on water.

thepolyparrot 04-10-2021 05:23 PM

Wow, she's very talented! The quilt is gorgeous and I hope it raises a lot of money.

Sync 04-10-2021 05:44 PM

Gorgeous quilt

nature lover 04-10-2021 06:03 PM

Excellent job! Love the colors and "movement" of the quilt

jmoore 04-11-2021 03:44 AM

I don’t have any suggestions as far as how to quilt it but I just wanted to congratulate your daughter on her work and her goal for raising money. What a creative project.

clwetzel 04-11-2021 04:34 AM

Wow, that is stunning. I would think about continuous curves on the cross seams of the pinwheels so it looks like flower petals. A flourish at the center of the NYB block with SID around the the narrow bands and spikes. In the corner piece I would do a half feather to fill. First I would draw it out with a dry erase marker on a big piece of vinyl or plastic placed over the quilt to see if I like it. I tried to draw it out on a picture of the quilt, but my drawing ability on my computer just stinks.

toogie 04-11-2021 04:45 AM

Congratulations to your daughter! Her piecing is excellent. Love the colors/fabrics too. I hope she raises a good sum of money for her club. Good luck dear!-Toogie

Homespun 04-11-2021 05:31 AM

Wow, quite an accomplishment for a 17 year old!

Abashobbes 04-11-2021 06:03 AM

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. Yes my daughter is a junior in HS. This is her third club fundraiser and it is quite a step up from her other two. When she was 14 we went to a quilt show in Chicago during her spring break and took three days of classes learning paper piecing, curved seams and just had a blast sewing together! So she took this kit/pattern and "went to town" on it. The kit was one I got from the old Craftsy website. I bought many from them once they were on clearance. Their boundless fabrics are really nice. I 'directed' her cutting as I wanted to make sure she didn't run out of fabric but she insisted on doing it all herself. Yes I'm very proud of her!

clwetzel.... thanks for your suggestions. I'm quilting "free-hand" on my long arm. I was thinking continuous curves and feathers as you suggested. I don't know what a "flourish" is.... please explain. Wow...I hope I can do my daughter justice with the quilting part! Anita