Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Given to me today--great grandmother's quilts. Rough shape. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/given-me-today-great-grandmothers-quilts-rough-shape-t44333.html)

Quilt4u 04-30-2010 02:33 AM

What beautiful treasures!

dglvr 04-30-2010 03:41 AM

Wow those are truly beuatifal. What treasures. Do you have a quilt show in your area? Those are worth showing off. While they are hanging maybe some lookers could give you some advice too. Good luck. I'm glad to see they have ended up in such loving home. Sorry for your losses. :cry: Would love some updates on them later. ;)

diannemc 04-30-2010 03:50 AM

Thanks for sharing! They are beautiful...I love the first..I have one of my grandmothers quilts and think of her everytime I look at it...Quilts are a special way of remembering the ones we love...

sueisallaboutquilts 04-30-2010 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by diannemc
Thanks for sharing! They are beautiful...I love the first..I have one of my grandmothers quilts and think of her everytime I look at it...Quilts are a special way of remembering the ones we love...

I totally agree with that. Nobody in my family quilted but I have pillow shams that my Grandmother cross-stitched her initials on.
So simple yet so lovely. I cherish them.
My Dad is gone :( He always wore silk scarves in his suit pocket. My sis and I treasure them as well. They were store bought of course, but they were his and he loved to wear them:) And I have his rosary beads in my purse as well. Just makes me happy knowing that they are with me.

carrieg 04-30-2010 04:12 AM

Those are wonderful treasures! It is hard to know what to do with them. I would just display them as is. I have a friend whose mother took an old worn family quilt and cut it apart & framed a section for each of her 6 kids. There's others that make them into teddy bears, but yours are in too good shape to ruin them for that.

I have an old quilt with that same purple in it. I also have a trip-around-the-world with 1 complete round of fabric just gone - same as yours.

littlehud 04-30-2010 08:25 AM

Those are beautiful. I love them. What wonderful memories.

Tink's Mom 04-30-2010 01:46 PM

Karla, Maybe you or your Dad have a piece of fabric that belonged to either your Mom or Grandma that could be used to fix the problem spots....or a dress or blouse of the same vintage....
They are just beautiful...such a wonderful treasure.

peaceandjoy 04-30-2010 05:18 PM

I've no idea how to restore quilts, I just wanted to say how lovely they are and what a great gift. To have something that your great-grandmother worked on, that her hands held. What was she thinking while she worked? Was it in the evening after a long day? Were the children playing nearby? Could she in her wildest dreams have imagined you holding them in your hands and in your heart and sharing them with other quilters around the world?

barnbum 04-30-2010 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
I've no idea how to restore quilts, I just wanted to say how lovely they are and what a great gift. To have something that your great-grandmother worked on, that her hands held. What was she thinking while she worked? Was it in the evening after a long day? Were the children playing nearby? Could she in her wildest dreams have imagined you holding them in your hands and in your heart and sharing them with other quilters around the world?

Robin--that was beautiful. Thanks. I told someone in a PM that if they were grandma's I would feel more attached, but I never came close to meeting her mother--and really don't know much about her. Your words make me feel more attached to them. I feel like I want to discuss them with her. Sigh... wish Gram showed me these before she died.

omak 04-30-2010 06:06 PM

I am always amazed to realize how the things we do in an ordinary day of our lives has a way of going beyond our time to effect others. Most of history is made up of ordinary people, doing ordinary things that had to be done, but in the end made a BIG impact on future generations. <wave>