Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Grammy Patty 7's "no y seams" quilt for Michael (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/grammy-patty-7s-%22no-y-seams%22-quilt-michael-t127228.html)

labug 06-01-2011 12:10 PM

You did a beautiful job

laceybritt 06-01-2011 12:21 PM

Beautiful!!! What size are your HST's??? I am in the process of making a scrappy 8 sided star using 2&1/2 HSTs. So much faster and headache free :lol: .
Hubby wanted to move to the Villages when we retired. Beautiful area.

Fabaddict 06-01-2011 12:48 PM

I love that pattern. It is really quite easy to do.
Yours is reall beautiful.

GrammaBabs 06-01-2011 12:50 PM

This is a great quilt... lucky you.. living in The Villages... we live here at Oakpoint in MA... lots of people there from here.. but my DH will not move again.. yet!!!! hehehehe ;-)

SueSew 06-01-2011 12:50 PM

That is a beautiful quilt and I am sure he will treasure it.
I love the way you extended the star and put on the borders, and I love the colors. Do you have a pattern you can point us to (no pun intended!) for the star pattern?
:) :) :) :)

rootyr 06-01-2011 01:13 PM

Beautiful!

grammypatty7 06-01-2011 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by tms
What a fantastic quilt! You did a beautiful job! I'd love to know how you did it! Could you share a tutorial of this "no Y seams block"?

Hi tms,
Sorry it's been a full year since we did the tutorial. I do have the instructions for it but am not allowed to share it. The class instructor had to get permission to share it and use it with our class. My suggestion would be to do an online search for "no Y seams quilt pattern" and bet you'll find one somewhere. It was surprisingly easy to make this large star though because it was created making blocks and then sewing the blocks together and when you were done, you had a beautiful star. I felt that although I just used scraps, this star was too beautiful not to use. Because of the colors used, this quilt said "Michael" every time I touched from the very first when I began selecting the fabrics. Between my 2 children, they have blessed us with a total of 7 grandchildren and Michael is the last to get his scrap quilt by Grammy. As a scrap quilter, it's hard for me to waste fabrics and this one seems to be a real "people magnet." It always amazes me the reactions everyone has to this quilt when they see me working on it. As a "quilt as you go" quilter with out a hoop or frame, my quilts draw attention and this one sure has garnered not only attention but excited, enthusiastic praise. His Mom loves it and hopefully he will too. It's comfy too.
Thanks for looking.
Hugs
Patty

grammypatty7 06-01-2011 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Corky
No Y seams is always good news!

Thank you Corky and I totally agree with you although I'd never done one and never a star this large. Stars are challenges as it is and even this one isn't perfect but good enough to use - too striking NOT to use.

Patty

GreatStarter 06-01-2011 01:40 PM

Wow, it's really pretty! You did a wonderful job.

Kat

TerryQuilter 06-01-2011 01:41 PM

Very nice :!: :!: :!: