Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/group-obw-floral-master-fabric-t92198.html)

Boopey 01-22-2011 03:59 AM

I just got my Floral Master fabric from JoAnn's yesterday. It is one of the Keepsake Calicos and is currently on sale for 40% off. Although my store only had 3.5 yards....hopefully enough repeats so I can start cutting blocks. If you want I can give you the sku number and if you have a local JoAnn they should be able to special order it for you.
Wow, the colors of this fabric are really vibrant and oh, so pretty!

~Shirley

k3n 01-22-2011 04:08 AM

Welcome Shirley and great job getting the fabric! Looking forward to seeing some pics. My own progress BTW is that I've sewn the pairs of the last two strips, just got to make them into the halves. Then I can start the fun part - playing with the layout! BTW your 3.5 yards is plenty - it has a 12" repeat and you'll need 6 so you'll have a yard and a half spare to maybe use in the borders. :-D

JAGSD 01-22-2011 05:43 AM

Beautiful!

fireworkslover 01-22-2011 07:58 AM

When you think about how these hex's are made, the possibilities are almost endless as to the different ones that can be made, from the same fabric. First, it depends where in the fabric length, the cut repeats are. Second, how much is cut off the end of the strip before cutting triangles. Third, which way the triangles are arranged - with the straight grain on the outside edge or not. Then how they are arranged to make the quilt... I'm anxious to see some more blocks put together! Hurry, hurry!!

annieb 01-22-2011 09:28 AM

This is a question for K3N - I'm about to start an obw, different fabric, tho. I understand about repeats and how much fabric you need depending on the repeats. But if I wanted to make a queen size couldn't I just move my starting point over a couple of inches and then cut a new set of strips and come out with different blocks? I'm not sure if I worded this to make my question clear, but I don't want to have the same block several times and thought this would work. Thanks, Ann

k3n 01-22-2011 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by annieb
This is a question for K3N - I'm about to start an obw, different fabric, tho. I understand about repeats and how much fabric you need depending on the repeats. But if I wanted to make a queen size couldn't I just move my starting point over a couple of inches and then cut a new set of strips and come out with different blocks? I'm not sure if I worded this to make my question clear, but I don't want to have the same block several times and thought this would work. Thanks, Ann

I know what you mean and yes, this is just one possibility for altering the outcome from the same repeat. Another option is to turn the triangles - being equilateral you have 3 options per block. Look out for that bias though, treat them gently. :-D

I sometimes even manipulate the outcome by looking along the strip set for a cut of a definite colour for example. You may waste a bit doing this but sometimes I find it's necessary to get the look I want.

tomilu 01-22-2011 10:46 AM

Totally Awesome!!!

Ducky 01-22-2011 10:50 AM

I have a Hancocks, JoAnn, and Hobby Lobby close by, so I'll look in each store. These little webbed feet shan't rest until I find that marvelous fabric!

fireworkslover 01-22-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by annieb

Actually you wouldn't need to move over a couple inches. Just cut your strips and instead of starting to cut a triangle right at the left edge, move over even 1/4" and then start cutting your triangles. You will have similar hexs, but they won't be exactly the same.

Sandi Furtado 01-22-2011 11:34 AM

I love this floral fabric. Great job on all the blocks you have done!