Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Help! Just inherited 325 pieced units! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/help-just-inherited-325-pieced-units-t21686.html)

rosemary128 06-22-2009 05:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was visiting family for my 30th birthday and my grandmother gave me these 325 units/stars that my great-great grandmother pieced in the 1950's. What a treasure! I need some help, though, before I can put them together into a quilt. Does anyone know:

1) What period the fabrics date to? My grandmother thought perhaps the 30's/40's.

2) What pattern she might have been striving for? I've included an example of how I think they might go together - will have to add diamonds in between. But what is the name of the pattern?

3) What kind of fabric should I look for to complete the quilt top? Do I need to go vintage or would a new fabric in off-white work?

Thanks in advance for your advice/thoughts!

Treasure trove of pieced star units.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38091[/ATTACH]

Possible pattern?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38134[/ATTACH]

bearisgray 06-22-2009 05:47 PM

My first thought was muslin - or black - it would show off the prints.

omak 06-22-2009 06:23 PM

Muslin would be in keeping with the time frame.
It looks like the stars need to be on point.
I think your inheritance is grand. How big are these stars from point to point?
Isn't there a quilt site called "victorian ... something?"
I will go looking to see what I can find.
Kalaidescope ... we tend to think of that as a strip piece, but, I am sure it started out as a solid fabric/diamonds.

omak 06-22-2009 06:25 PM

Not kalaidescope ... I'm going back in! Quilter's Cache

rosemary128 06-22-2009 06:29 PM

omak - The stars are roughly 6" point-to-point. The units fit into a 4.25" square. I do see the pattern a little better since you suggested putting them on point. Thanks! :)

amma 06-22-2009 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this in EQ it was in the section called Priscilla blocks

rosemary128 06-22-2009 07:18 PM

Amma - thanks! That's a very close match. I'm thinking I'm going to have to inset all the diamonds by hand or practice my Y-seams on the machine. *faint*

amma 06-22-2009 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by rosemary128
Amma - thanks! That's a very close match. I'm thinking I'm going to have to inset all the diamonds by hand or practice my Y-seams on the machine. *faint*

The last block I sewed with Y seams I did all but the last 1/2 on each side by machine, then I sewed the middle by hand, it was that or sew the whole thing by hand. :shock: I can't wait to see your quilt!!!! :D :D :D

quiltluvr 06-22-2009 07:46 PM

That is gonna make some quilt! How precious to have gotten those.

amma 06-22-2009 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by rosemary128

another option would be to pick out a few stitches, sew in the side pieces(the two toned blue ones) they could be the same color, and then sew them back up...does that make sense?