Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How do I quilt this? Help, please and thank you! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-do-i-quilt-help-please-thank-you-t78290.html)

quilting librarian 11-23-2010 01:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is a flannel quilt that I am making for my brother - my first large quilt, 80 x 100". It is spray basted and ready to quilt. I'm can't seem to make up my mind how I should go about it, so am hoping you folks will help me come up with something suitable. It will probably be washed a lot, as my brother has some compulsive issues.

Should I SID on my Singer? FMQ on my old 830 Bernina? Both? That much SID makes me have second thoughts about it. I wanted to do an allover leaf design in fmq, but then what color thread would I use? I have dark blue for SID. I have a brownish gold for the leaves. Maybe I should do both? ?? :?:

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132722[/ATTACH]

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132723[/ATTACH]

closeup of fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132724[/ATTACH]

amma 11-23-2010 01:28 PM

Beautiful quilt!! Maybe SID around the blocks to stabilize and then leaves in the centers. borders and sashing? :D:D:D

Murphy 11-23-2010 01:29 PM

The deep blue would bring out the blue in the quilt and make it pop; the leaf pattern sounds great (IMHO)

Maride 11-23-2010 01:33 PM

I would do a FMQ all over leaf design with the blue thread. It will show great without changing the view of the fabric. Is beautiful quilt.

quilterken 11-23-2010 01:39 PM

I also agree that the fmq in a leaf design would look very nice, just keep the pattern loose. I have been guilty of overquilting and the flannel gets stiff if overquilted. I would use a variegated thread in autumn shades.

stewyscrewy 11-23-2010 01:45 PM

do an all over in the blue color thread and it will look great.

feline fanatic 11-23-2010 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Beautiful quilt!! Maybe SID around the blocks to stabilize and then leaves in the centers. borders and sashing? :D:D:D

I agree with Amma. I would be concerned because of the size that if you didn't do a SID to stablize it you might end up with some puckering on the back if you went straight for the FMQ leaf design.

hperttula123 11-23-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
I would do a FMQ all over leaf design with the blue thread. It will show great without changing the view of the fabric. Is beautiful quilt.

I agree...Leaves in blue would be great with this one.

quiltsRfun 11-23-2010 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Maride

Another vote for this option. Love your quilt. Great fabric - it's perfect for a man.

sueisallaboutquilts 11-23-2010 03:16 PM

No advice here but wanted to tell you it's beautiful!