Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How to finish these UFOs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-finish-these-ufos-t64366.html)

MadQuilter 09-12-2010 10:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I REALLY need your suggestions. For the last few days, I have been pulling out all of the errand blocks and bits and bobs and changing them from UFOs to WIPs. Some of them are "done" when assembled but others need more. Here is my dilemma: In each example, I am out of the fabrics. What would you do with these?

The first is 23" square. Too bland to leave - too big for a mini - too small for a kid's quilt.

The second one would make a great center panel (23" x 33") but what fabric to add? I have a bit of the green left. (The closeup is a better color representation than the larger pic). Once this is finished and quilted, the center pieces get pulled back into flower petals for a 3-D effect.

Folded flowers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89655[/ATTACH]

4=patch in orange and yellow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89936[/ATTACH]

Closeup
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89937[/ATTACH]

raptureready 09-12-2010 10:44 AM

The first one I'd find some similar or at least color coordinated fabric, add borders and make it big enough for a kids quilt or at least a baby quilt. If you found a fabric that had a baby print but in similar colors to what you already have you could cut out a few and applique them onto the center part to pull it all together. The second I'd turn into a wall hanging.

MadQuilter 09-12-2010 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
The first one I'd find some similar or at least color coordinated fabric, add borders and make it big enough for a kids quilt or at least a baby quilt. If you found a fabric that had a baby print but in similar colors to what you already have you could cut out a few and applique them onto the center part to pull it all together. The second I'd turn into a wall hanging.

Thanks. You mean just bind the second one and not add more to it? I'm not sure why I have a blind eye with these two beasties.

wolfkitty 09-12-2010 10:57 AM

A border or two in coordinating fabrics would increase the size enough to use for small quilts (baby or child), depending on their current size. Or use for a table cover.

magnolia 09-12-2010 11:21 AM

What about using the first one as your own Round Robin. Take time to finish it and do one round at a time till you feel it is complete.

SueDor 09-12-2010 11:28 AM

The Blue and the pink material has another color in them. I would try to match one or two of those colors and work out from there. When you are done I would like to see the 3-D flower petal. Thanks

butterflywing 09-12-2010 01:41 PM

on the folded petal one, how washable will that be? if you hang it, it will definitely get dusty. you'll have to dryer-fluff. if you use it, then washing will be a must. eeek! wallhanging wins.

amma 09-12-2010 01:53 PM

The first one I would add on a 1,2 and 3" border to bring it up to a kids quilt size. Maybe darker brown, a bright out of the focal fabric, and dark blue?

The second one is sooooo pretty, that I would treat that one as a IRR :D It is gorgeous!! Maybe take it shopping with you for some more batiks to add to it? :D:D:D

MadQuilter 09-12-2010 03:00 PM

Thanks for the help. YES, the blue floral does have some other colors in it (it's such a pretty stylized floral) and I can pull those for the borders with a solid blue in the same value. Oh, amma - looks like I WILL have to go fabric shopping.

The petals on the second one will be sewn down when folded back and I think it should do fine when washed (I hope). Batik - hm, OK more fabric shopping. <gggggggg>

I already sent out my round robin, or that would have been a good idea.

Ditter43 09-12-2010 03:16 PM

Okay, this might be more then you want to do but....The first one has 9 four patches in it. I would take it apart down to there and add blocks between like the kids quilts are done...take your color from that print...there are red and purple and pink flowers in it....the second one would make a beautiful wall hanging, or make it big enough for a couch throw. You could add another color to the center of the flowers when you open them up and then use that color with the green to make it larger.... :D