Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How many people hand quilt vs machine quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-many-people-hand-quilt-vs-machine-quilt-t114478.html)

grammer ann 04-09-2011 03:43 PM

I also hand quilt. As has been stated, machine quilting is not my talent. I have no money for nor place to put a long arm, therefore, hand quilting will continue to be my choice. I also feel long arm quilting is a whole other learning experience. I'm not sure I have the desire or ability to learn to do it well.
Ann

whip1up 04-09-2011 03:46 PM

I do both. I like to have something to work on in my lap, and I can't give up my sewing machine either. I must admit, I love the fact that there are people out there that use a longarm to compliment my quilt. I've only had one bad experience in over 30 yrs of making quilts but it won't discourage me from making more :D Too many quilts, too little time !

janetter 04-09-2011 04:45 PM

I really enjoy hand sewing, like hand sewing the binding to the back but having done only a bit of hand quilting; I'm not sure it is for me. I may try again in the future

rahaube 04-09-2011 05:01 PM

I have hand quilted two large quits and several small ones. I am leaning to free motion quilt and have done some straight line quilting by machine. I have had two quilts long arm quilted but can't afford to have them all done that way. I enjoy hand quilting but time is a factor, especially with the large quilts.

AliceQ 04-09-2011 05:33 PM

I love hand quilting. It's so relaxing. I also finish my bindings by hand.

Lucy90 04-09-2011 05:54 PM

I hand quilt certain quilts. I hand quilt more of the old fashion ones. I quilt most of my quilts by machine. I like to hand quilt as it is relaxing for me

grandma Janice 04-09-2011 06:11 PM

I hand quilt. never have machine quilted.

Stitchnripper 04-09-2011 06:15 PM

I do both. by hand takes so much longer (especially with long breaks) but I do enjoy it.

jdeery 04-09-2011 06:23 PM

I hand quilt, love it, can't wait to get my quilts to that stage.
Seems like it takes forever, but I love the look also....It is
the personal touch and love that goes into it. I hand quilted
my daughter a quilt and told her every time I sat down to
quilt, I was praying for her as I stitched.

grammysharon 04-09-2011 09:33 PM

I do both!

Originally Posted by joanelizbay
I was just curious as to how many people still did hand quilting vs machine quilting? Ive done both but prefer to hand quilt as I feel it adds more personality to the quilts I make for my grandkids. The lst quilt I had done by machine was a double wedding ring and the lady didnt tell me it was her lst shot at machine quilting so she bunched it up and basically ruined it. I was afraid to try again for about 10 years but the last one I had done was wonderful! I think the machine quilts might hold up longer if they are used but I just love the look of a hand quilted quilt!