Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How much is too much (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-much-too-much-t54039.html)

ladyredhawk 07-12-2010 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by stpatmom
I did a tie quilt for my daughter with that same teddy bear material when she was 2 or three. She's now twelve and still loves it. Thanks for reminding me of the memory.

aaawwww how sweet ty for your comment

ladyredhawk 07-12-2010 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
Yep, give it a little hair cut so you focus more on the quilt. :D

ty marsye

ladyredhawk 07-12-2010 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
The batting quilting distance will tell you how far apart to tie your quilt (it's the same). Ditto on cutting the ends shorter...way too long for baby to suck on and swallow.

ty ghost

ckcowl 07-12-2010 03:48 AM

a lady i know who ties quilts all the time told me to use your hand as a guide, your ties should be (1) hand's width apart.
i think it really depends on the batting you used though, if the batting can be quilted 4-12" apart a hand's width would be fine, but if you use batting that has to be quilted every 2" you need them much closer together. i was always afraid to 'tie' baby quilts, afraid they would manage to 'un-tie' one or chew on it and choke, so i only quilt baby quilts, but i know lots of people tie them, just me being ''' over-paranoid'''
cute quilt

ladyredhawk 07-12-2010 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
a lady i know who ties quilts all the time told me to use your hand as a guide, your ties should be (1) hand's width apart.
i think it really depends on the batting you used though, if the batting can be quilted 4-12" apart a hand's width would be fine, but if you use batting that has to be quilted every 2" you need them much closer together. i was always afraid to 'tie' baby quilts, afraid they would manage to 'un-tie' one or chew on it and choke, so i only quilt baby quilts, but i know lots of people tie them, just me being ''' over-paranoid'''
cute quilt

ty I also thought about the choking
but i think i tied them tight enough to hold while they knot up

pollyjvan9 07-12-2010 04:27 AM

I've never tied a quilt but yours is really cute.

raptureready 07-12-2010 04:29 AM

Rather than take them out----DON'T DO IT, IT WILL LEAVE HOLES----trim them off a little and they won't look like too much. There's really no need to have them more than 5 to 6 inches apart. However, it's your first one and babies love to play with the ties. I usually trim mine to about 3/4 of an inch. That's not to say that you have to, you can make yours about 1/2" if that's what you want. My mother always said to tie each tie three times to keep them from untying. pull them tight too.

clem55 07-12-2010 06:01 AM

I tie mine at the corners of each block, trim to 1/4 inch. Hides the unmatched joins!LOL

wvdek 07-12-2010 06:12 AM

Yep, too many. It could cause the child to play and play with the quilt until they get some threads in their wee hands and then into the mouth.

Tie at center of block and at corners where the blocks meet. Trim to 1/2 " or so. I use a square knot.

As far as removing the extras, I would and then take the tip of your seam ripper (careful here) or a blunt needle (better) and carefully 'rake' over the hole to close the threads together.

littlehud 07-12-2010 10:39 AM

That is a cute quilt. I think you need to trim the ties and then they will be OK. I don't think you needed to tie so many but it will be OK for this quilt.