Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How to quilt?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-quilt-t70017.html)

RkayD 10-13-2010 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I designed this quilt for my (step)daughter. She lives in Germany and I wanted more of a modern feel. I'm tinkering around with how to do the quilting. I can just do meander stipple type or straight line quilting using the blocks as sort of a guide edge to edge & up & down. Also thread colors...turquoise on the brown & brown on the tourquoise?? Do you think...?

T-Bones mom 10-13-2010 06:40 PM

I am new to this so I can't give you any advise, but I wanted to tell you that is one gorgeous quilt. My youngest would love it. She is 21.

Candace 10-13-2010 06:45 PM

To my eye it calls for curves, so stippling all over would be great. The color combos you've narrowed down would look awesome.

oatw13 10-13-2010 06:50 PM

I love the contrast! If you want to keep it modern, I would stick with straight lines to mimic the straight edges of your pattern. Maybe uneven boxes or unevenly-spaced lines horizontally and vertically.

Whatever you decide it will be great!

littlehud 10-13-2010 07:07 PM

I think a nice meandering would be pretty. I love your color ideas.

RkayD 10-13-2010 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by T-Bones mom
I am new to this so I can't give you any advise, but I wanted to tell you that is one gorgeous quilt. My youngest would love it. She is 21.

thank you! =) Its hard to make something for the older kiddo's without it being too "traditional". When I sketched it out it didn't look like this..it looked like that...And its kona cotton so its a little heavier than quilter's cotton.

It looked like this..but it just wasn't working for me..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112567[/ATTACH]

sueisallaboutquilts 10-13-2010 07:28 PM

I don't have any advice but that's a really interesting quilt!
I love your thread ideas. Please show us when you finish! :)

mom-6 10-13-2010 07:28 PM

I agree with keeping to the straight lines of the design.

Maybe echo the squares???

Definitely like the way you created the large center square then the rectangular shape overall. Very pleasing!

grammyp 10-13-2010 07:35 PM

If it were for me, I would do a curvy design. But to keep it modern I agree with straight lines. I think I would match the thread to the background to keep the contrast clean. I like the final version much better than your original idea. Great quilt.

Lady Shivesa 10-13-2010 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I kind of agree with whoever said you should use thread that matches instead of contrasts - unless the contrast was small, I think it would take away from the beauty of your design (which is a VERY beautiful design - I love it!). But that's just my humble opinion, so take it or leave it if you will.

As far as quilting design, if you did a matching thread, you could do something like this all up and down it...