Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I almost abandoned this project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-almost-abandoned-project-t132355.html)

GirlieWhirlie 06-22-2011 11:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
but I spent too much in fabric to toss it aside. I bought these 6 1/2 inch chenille blocks at the Paducah show. I cut up 6 1/2 inch 1930's fabric. Never had I seen such an assortment and thought it would be a good toddler quilt with all of the textures. Well...they are not square and you cannot use a 1/4 inch seam as it ravels too much. The chenille kept getting caught on the feed dogs or the walking foot. So I sewed them together as best I could. I am going to tie this with yarn so I can cover up the squares that don't line up.

Do I need a batting in this? If so, I want a very thin batting. Any suggestions? Also, what binding should I do with this. I was thinking about just sewing a backing right sides together and turning it and just stitch around the edges to keep it in place.

Tallulah 06-22-2011 11:40 AM

Your quote: Do I need a batting in this? If so, I want a very thin batting. Any suggestions? Also, what binding should I do with this. I was thinking about just sewing a backing right sides together and turning it and just stitch around the edges to keep it in place.

I think that turning it makes a lot of sense. Good luck with it.

dltaylor 06-22-2011 12:07 PM

That is really pretty.

eastermarie 06-22-2011 12:14 PM

You could use a prewashed piece of flannel for the batting, or a sheet blanket( make sure you prewash it as well). You could even use a heavier weight of muslin, not that super thin stuff you can read through. It will be a quilt that a toddler will enjoy or even get dragged around as a comfort blankie.

Jammin' Jane 06-22-2011 12:20 PM

What a fun quilt! I'm happy for you that you're finishing it! You'll be so happy to get it off you to-do list. If you use a flannel backing, you wouldn't need to put batting in it. I like your idea of how to finish it. It will be very cuddly!!

quilt addict 06-22-2011 12:24 PM

I don't think you would need a batting. I turn alot of my small quilts for kids. they don't care about binding. ;-)

It is very cute!

ann clare 06-22-2011 12:35 PM

Beautikul

quiltsRfun 06-22-2011 12:38 PM

Turned out nice. I see my old (long ago worn out) bedspread in some of those blocks. LOL

Ramona Byrd 06-22-2011 01:19 PM

When I did a quilt like this many years ago, I do remember tying it two times, crossing each other. That way it really did block the mismatched corners, and with thick yarn it was pretty.

PaperPrincess 06-22-2011 01:24 PM

How about buttons in the corners? If it's for an infant that's probably not a good idea, but for a bit older child I think it would be cute & really hide the intersections. I would also go with the flannel back & no batting.