Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I almost panicked...but I solved the problem! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-almost-panicked-but-i-solved-problem-t184030.html)

justflyingin 03-26-2012 05:59 AM

I almost panicked...but I solved the problem!

3 Attachment(s)
The other day my Janome 7700 was sewing badly. I figured there was thread in the tension disks, but didn't know how to get to them--they've pretty much managed to make them impossible to get to.

However, I pleaded with my DH to open up the front so I could get it them better. he couldn't get the front panel all the way off without breaking something, but he created more room for me to work on it.

After a while, I decided that surely the tension disks were ok in the front, but in the back, where the thread tends to migrate, it wasn't grabbing the thread--so that meant something was stuck in there. I couldn't see it, even with a magnifying glass, flashlight, extra lamp, etc. I was desperate! Why? Well, I bought it on line from a dealer about 5 hours from here. There is only one authorized Janome dealer in Poland, I've heard and it is about 5 hours in another direction....The thought of packing it all up in the boxes, finding the receipt, trying to get someone to look at it and fix it was more than I wanted to think about.

So, back to work I went. I finally cut a very small piece of cardboard about 1/4" wide by 4" long and stuck it gently down the back side of the tension disks, where I couldn't get to. When I pulled it up, up came the glob of thread you see in the photo. I grabbed it with my tweezers and was rejoicing. My DH was already in bed--I had been working on it for a while, but I told him, "It's fixed!" It sewed beautifully again, so I asked him to put the covers back on again.

So, I'm grateful--so grateful. I had never had to try to find threads stuck in the tension disks before--maybe it is because I hadn't sewn as much as I have in the last 10 years or so. I had a Pfaff Hobby that had had those problems. When I realized what it had to be (thread in the tension disks), I was able to find it and remove it, but with that machine I could get to the tension disks more easily. This Horizon--they've made it almost impossible!

Anyway, I'm putting pictures of the problem, the mess, the tools and I used and why I couldn't get to it without removing the cover at least somewhat.

I may have invalidated the warranty by doing it, but it is worth it to me--the very thought of the hassle of packing it up and sending it off somewhere, after finding a courier--it's more than I want to deal with!

Helovesme 03-26-2012 06:06 AM

Oh my! But so glad you solved the problem and can sew again!

jad1044 03-26-2012 06:06 AM

all the Dr's tools and yet what a job, huh? I'm so happy for you to have gotten it fixed, without having to package it up to send it away to get it fixed.. I know the feeling of being so far from anything close to get anything fixed; I'm not quite that bad off as you - but here I live in the midwest, USA, and have to drive a 100 miles any direction to get anything fixed - buy good fabric, or just have a nice shopping day- disgusting many times; So I can relate - have a happy day sewing and glad for you it all worked out fine....

sash 03-26-2012 06:06 AM

What a mess. Glad you could fix it. Mine did that too; just locked up; had to take it in and that's what was wrong with it. Except, it was my embroidery machine. So, now I make sure when I change threads, I cut at the top and pull loose thread down through the tension.

Michellesews 03-26-2012 06:21 AM

I have the Janome Horizon 7700 and I want to thank you for taking the time to post this. I have not had this problem....yet...but when I do, I will have an idea what to do. Very generous of you to take the time.

mighty 03-26-2012 06:37 AM

Thankl you so much for the info! I am so glad you got your machine running again!!!!!

0tis 03-26-2012 06:57 AM

Good for you - my husband is very handy too - we are both lucky to have help. I think you did great figuring out the problem then solving it - I am sure that you saved some money too -now you have more money to spend on projects or fabric. Bravo...

Lori S 03-26-2012 08:19 AM

Wow , you are a proof , that where there is a will and determination ... you will find a way. Thanks for posting this valuable info.

hudgoddess 03-26-2012 08:22 AM

I bet you had a hard time not screaming your victory at the top of your lungs in the middle of the night! Good for you! You must be so proud!

Rock Lady 03-26-2012 10:06 AM

You are my kind of person. I would do the same thing you did - try to fix it myself. You go, girl!