Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I almost panicked...but I solved the problem!

I almost panicked...but I solved the problem!

The other day my Janome 7700 was sewing badly. I figured there was thread in the tension disks, but didn't know how to get to them--they've pretty much managed to make them impossible to get to.

However, I pleaded with my DH to open up the front so I could get it them better. he couldn't get the front panel all the way off without breaking something, but he created more room for me to work on it.

After a while, I decided that surely the tension disks were ok in the front, but in the back, where the thread tends to migrate, it wasn't grabbing the thread--so that meant something was stuck in there. I couldn't see it, even with a magnifying glass, flashlight, extra lamp, etc. I was desperate! Why? Well, I bought it on line from a dealer about 5 hours from here. There is only one authorized Janome dealer in Poland, I've heard and it is about 5 hours in another direction....The thought of packing it all up in the boxes, finding the receipt, trying to get someone to look at it and fix it was more than I wanted to think about.

So, back to work I went. I finally cut a very small piece of cardboard about 1/4" wide by 4" long and stuck it gently down the back side of the tension disks, where I couldn't get to. When I pulled it up, up came the glob of thread you see in the photo. I grabbed it with my tweezers and was rejoicing. My DH was already in bed--I had been working on it for a while, but I told him, "It's fixed!" It sewed beautifully again, so I asked him to put the covers back on again.

So, I'm grateful--so grateful. I had never had to try to find threads stuck in the tension disks before--maybe it is because I hadn't sewn as much as I have in the last 10 years or so. I had a Pfaff Hobby that had had those problems. When I realized what it had to be (thread in the tension disks), I was able to find it and remove it, but with that machine I could get to the tension disks more easily. This Horizon--they've made it almost impossible!

Anyway, I'm putting pictures of the problem, the mess, the tools and I used and why I couldn't get to it without removing the cover at least somewhat.

I may have invalidated the warranty by doing it, but it is worth it to me--the very thought of the hassle of packing it up and sending it off somewhere, after finding a courier--it's more than I want to deal with!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh my! But so glad you solved the problem and can sew again!

Blog Entries
    all the Dr's tools and yet what a job, huh? I'm so happy for you to have gotten it fixed, without having to package it up to send it away to get it fixed.. I know the feeling of being so far from anything close to get anything fixed; I'm not quite that bad off as you - but here I live in the midwest, USA, and have to drive a 100 miles any direction to get anything fixed - buy good fabric, or just have a nice shopping day- disgusting many times; So I can relate - have a happy day sewing and glad for you it all worked out fine....
    JO

What a mess. Glad you could fix it. Mine did that too; just locked up; had to take it in and that's what was wrong with it. Except, it was my embroidery machine. So, now I make sure when I change threads, I cut at the top and pull loose thread down through the tension.

I have the Janome Horizon 7700 and I want to thank you for taking the time to post this. I have not had this problem....yet...but when I do, I will have an idea what to do. Very generous of you to take the time.
    Michelle Guadarrama

Thankl you so much for the info! I am so glad you got your machine running again!!!!!

Good for you - my husband is very handy too - we are both lucky to have help. I think you did great figuring out the problem then solving it - I am sure that you saved some money too -now you have more money to spend on projects or fabric. Bravo...

Wow , you are a proof , that where there is a will and determination ... you will find a way. Thanks for posting this valuable info.

I bet you had a hard time not screaming your victory at the top of your lungs in the middle of the night! Good for you! You must be so proud!

You are my kind of person. I would do the same thing you did - try to fix it myself. You go, girl!

Good going. I hate how hard it is for us to fix such small issues. They make the machines so you have to pay a small fortune to have a repairperson remove a simple thread nest. And waiting for that repair is awful if it's your only good machine.
    I applaud you!

Kat

Blog Entries
    Good job!!!! I'm glad that you were able to fix your problem with your sewing machine and it always gives us satisfaction to know that we fixed the problem.
    Kathyj

Quote Originally Posted by hudgoddess View Post
    I bet you had a hard time not screaming your victory at the top of your lungs in the middle of the night! Good for you! You must be so proud!
    Well, yes it was difficult to keep from being too excited since DH was trying to sleep, but I thought some of my friends on QB would understand. !!!

(It wasn't so very late--only about 10:30 when I managed to get it out!)

Congratulations on a great save!
    Penny aka PLS 1946

Blog Entries
    Your perserverance paid off big time! It is so wonderful to figure out a problem and save lots of $$$, good for you!
    Thank you for posting your article, am sure many of us will benefit from it
    Helen T.

Blog Entries
    Glad you fixed your machine and back to normal. BTW--Everytime I clean my Janome 6600, I use a pipe cleaner and a Q-tip and gently get into the deep parts. Q tip is great to get every last bit of fuzz in the bobbin case area. I even use a tiny dot of sewing machine oil on the Q-tip.

Happy dance for you
    Sandy

Blog Entries
    Congratulations; so happy you were able to solve the problem! Happy sewing!
    Mavis

Good for you!!! Thanks I have that machine and hope I do not EVER have a problem like that although I nearly always have trouble with my machines. I think some days I am afraid of them and they can sense it just like dogs and horses!
    Bonitagaye...proud new Gramma

I am glad you got the problem solved.

Blog Entries
    I learned to sew in Junior High, but when I was in HS and my mother purchased her own sewing machine (I took over the Singer Treadle) she kept having this problem. She fixed it by using a playing card (thin and coated so glides easily) and would clean out the tension discs. We figured out the problem was because she had been changing threads by pulling the thread up from the needle and machine using the spool of thread when changing spools, instead of cutting off the thread and pulling the threads downward toward the needle. I can honestly say I have never pulled the thread out by the spool, as what a pain it was to remember to clean those discs for her. Thread goes downward from the spool toward the needle when sewing. That is the same way I take it out when changing thread. And I change a LOT when using my embroidery machine. I can't get to any tension area on my Babylock Ellegante, so would have to take it in. I still use a playing card on my Babylock Jane, and follow up with dental floss. Glad you came up with a solution instead of having to take it in.

Good for you! I would have panicked too. Just think of how creative you got!!!

Blog Entries
    I have a question for those who pull it from the bottom. Often, my thread breaks, so I thought I have no choice but to pull it from the top. Any suggestions?
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

I have a white Quilters Star with tension like that, I stopped using it years ago, after about 5-6 years of use. My Baby Lock Jane and Juki TL98Qe has tension discs that open wide when I put the presser foot up and I occasionally blow on them. I can see into them. Usually my problems come from the bobbin area.
    I'm so gald you got it fixed.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Great Job!!!! I always ask DH to help ... he is a wonderful troubleshooter, me not so much as I have no patience. Just wish I could get my Janome 1600 to quit breaking thread. The only thread it seems to accept is Mettler. I am trying to use a variegated King Tut and breaks about six times each row. ARGGGGGG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast