Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I know this is a piecing site but................ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-know-piecing-site-but-t22970.html)

jacquemoe 07-19-2009 09:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I don't want to be pretentious or obnoxious so let me know if I am.
I enjoy sharing my projects. A lot of piecers, like I used to be, don't understand the differences in top quilting. My best friend doesn't understand but then, she doesn't quilt either.
Here is my simple explanation:
EDGE TO EDGE PANTOGRAPH
Pantograph design is an all-over pattern applied by hand guiding the machine from side to side, following a pre-printed design. Many designs undulate and interlock and will not look like "rows" on the finished quilt. These designs are good choices for busy quilts that need something attractive and unobtrusive to hold them together.

ALL-OVER FREEHAND
All-over freehand is exactly that. The design is applied freehand over the entire quilt, and does not depend on the underlying piecing.

CUSTOM
Custom work is based on the underlying piecing, usually with separate block and border treatment.

With all that said, I'm posting my "freehand" (no marking at all) practice quilt. I made it 60" x 80" so I'd have something I wanted for laying on the couch. I don't like to waste my practice fabrics. I did bind it with scraps. I butted the ends of the scraps together every 24" so there is just a little color in this darned thing. Let me know if you think I shouldn't post these here, SERIOUSLY!

Curly Fans
[ATTACH=CONFIG]37398[/ATTACH]

Weird........need more practice here
[ATTACH=CONFIG]37414[/ATTACH]

Different typ of fan and some flowers?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39706[/ATTACH]

jacquemoe 07-19-2009 09:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
More practice

Feather with background fill
[ATTACH=CONFIG]37974[/ATTACH]

More feathers and ?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]37994[/ATTACH]

Tried some McTavishing here
[ATTACH=CONFIG]37995[/ATTACH]

jacquemoe 07-19-2009 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just one more. This one looks like sperm to me :shock: Guess I need a lot more practice on this one.

Minda 07-19-2009 09:31 AM

I like seeing everyone's work, so I'm glad you posted the pictures. You're very talented. Was the McTavishing difficult to do?

Moonpi 07-19-2009 09:34 AM

Is this the part where we say, "We knew her when..."?
You really have become a master!

bearisgray 07-19-2009 09:43 AM

Awesome -

Keep the pictures coming -

You did that FREEHAND??????

jacquemoe 07-19-2009 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Minda
I like seeing everyone's work, so I'm glad you posted the pictures. You're very talented. Was the McTavishing difficult to do?

This type of McTavishing is simple and goes very quickly.

Barbm 07-19-2009 09:49 AM

practice? so what what do you think your "for real" work is? This is absolutely awesome!!!!

Have you had lessons? Where do you go to get them? What machine/frame set up do you have? What made you decide on this particular setup?

Just wondering- I someday (sighing wistfully) would love to have a longarm- just for myself, not as a business.

Shemjo 07-19-2009 09:54 AM

The photos are wonderful! Wow! I can appreciate not wasting your practice! But if you ever want to get rid of that, I would be proud to show it off for you! You are very accomplished. :lol:
I am not familiar with McTavishing. What is it? :?:

crkathleen 07-19-2009 10:03 AM

I think your work is gorgeous and YES :D you should show your work here! I would love to be able to work myself up to your level! This is me :mrgreen: green with envy! :lol: