Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I spy quilt for Grandkids (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-spy-quilt-grandkids-t115442.html)

QuiltE 04-11-2011 08:57 PM

Thanks for the explanation!!

Looks like yours is a Trip Around the World gone I Spy!!

bamamama 04-11-2011 09:02 PM

That's cool, my grandson is 5, but he'd be 25 by the time I collected all the fabric to make him one. I was just about to start a baseball quilt for him.

CAgirl1 04-11-2011 09:04 PM

What a great quilt! Love the layout you did.

GrammaO 04-11-2011 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by bamamama
That's cool, my grandson is 5, but he'd be 25 by the time I collected all the fabric to make him one. I was just about to start a baseball quilt for him.

You'd be amazed at how fast you can accumulate fabric. I cut all my scraps into 2 1/2, 4, 5 and 6 inch squares. I have traded a bunch with others here on the board and have found collections on ebay of 20-50 squares for not much money. Now I pick up fat quarters or fat eighths when I see them and go home and cut them up and toss them in a tote. For me, collecting the fabric has become an addiction. (or should I say 'another' quilting addiction) :-)

Unique Creations 04-11-2011 10:14 PM

Go to ebay, and search "I Spy", you will collect fabrics faster then you can imagine. That is how I collected for bug jars and gumball machiines.

sewdarnbusy 04-11-2011 10:22 PM

This is really cute!!!

moonwork42029 04-12-2011 06:16 AM

If you go to the search feature on here you can find some wonderful pictures of I spy quilts.

They are generally "fussy" cut shapes/squares of patterns so you can play the "I spy" game that most of us played as a child.

You find an item on the quilt and say "I spy a ____" and the child has to find it. Some people do 2 like items so they can play a matching game. Others do themes like all travel items, food items, cartoons items, alphabet items, boy themes, girly themes, or mishmash of everything, etc. Up to you as to how you want it to be.

Some people "frame" each shape or square with a sashing fabric to set it apart from the other pieces, while some sew them one after another which does make it harder to find the "I spys". You can make them "age appropriate" also, which gives you a whole other range for older kids. I also have heard where someone was making one for a senior center and they were loving it.

They are for fun and can be for learning. I've even heard/read where some make extra pieces to lay on the quilt so it's like a game board.

Mamaskeeto 04-12-2011 06:43 AM

Love your "I Spy" layout. I never thought to do it as a trip around the world. I've been collecting to make a quilt for my precious little neighbor who is 8 months old. I've already made her 3 quilts and another is on the way for her birthday. I'm hoping to collect enough fabric to have a quilt ready for Christmas 2011. Thanks for sharing.

qbquilts 04-12-2011 07:14 AM

awesome quilt and unique setting for an I-spy.

dkabasketlady 04-12-2011 08:00 AM

You've put alot of work into this I Spy quilt!!! Fantastic quilt!