Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I Spy Quints (not a typo!) and counting... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-spy-quints-not-typo-counting-t315939.html)

Gemm 09-12-2021 07:08 AM

Thanks for all of the encouraging comments! Currently playing around with some bags of HSTs I found at a thrift store. No idea what I will end up doing with them, but it's fun to be playing with new-to-me fabric and having a chance to practice with triangles without feeling the pressure of "making it for someone else." :-)

SallyS 09-12-2021 08:47 AM

They made me smile! Thank you for posting.

farmquilter 09-12-2021 11:50 AM

Wonderful version of the I Spy quits, I love how you use the different blocks. WOW how may prints did you end up with.

NZquilter 09-12-2021 06:23 PM

Those are some serious "I Spy" quilts! I love how you used different size squares. It keeps the interest! Well done!

Gemm 02-15-2022 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aaaaand...

Yet another I Spy! This is #7, which came out of the phone call advising that #6 had been completed. "Oh, lovely - I'd like another one, too, but I don't need that one until next summer, so there's no rush..." But we're heading to the town where she lives this week so I wanted to see if I could get it done before we go. Success!

Between that phone call and starting this top I had acquired a few more different novelty print pieces, so there are a couple of new things in this one. Sadly, I also had a massive brain fart this week (blaming a bad back) and forgot to switch out for a walking foot so it's not the smoothest quilting job I've ever done, although I think only I would really notice. I hope so.

Anyway, maybe this will be the last I Spy for a while! Maybe...

Karamarie 02-16-2022 07:12 AM

Definitely an I Spy quilt. Great!

Gannyrosie 02-20-2022 04:28 AM

Gemm, like many have said they are unique and wonderful. I've only done a few I spys and kind of followed the norm as many have done. These are beautiful and unique. I love being brain challenged when doing a quilt and your unique design would do it. Having to keep the mind active on where to place a piece or what size or color, and this design does that. Your gift of design will make some happy kids.

pbraun 02-20-2022 05:24 AM

I LOVE the I Spy quilts. The books and museum displays always kept and still keep my kids and husband happily busy. Gave an I Spy book to my nieces who had a hard time wrestling the book away from their maternal grandmother. Now that is on my mind to do the same as my adult kids would like it and our youngest has started a family with a very alert boy. Thanks for the inspiration.

pbraun 02-20-2022 05:26 AM

Thanks. I was wondering about your process. KEEEP the first one.

Gemm 02-20-2022 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks again for the encouragement and applause, everyone. :-)

Karamarie and Farmquilter - I have more novelty fabrics than I think I will ever use effectively... For now they all (mostly) fit into one box at least. See evidence attached.

Pbraun - basically my blocks are 12.5" - anything that goes evenly into 12 is doable, therefore - the .5 is added each time for seam allowances. After that, it's just about trying not to repeat too much. I'm much quicker than I used to be with the piecing - what takes the most time is having to fussy cut most of my motifs.