Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I Spy Quints (not a typo!) and counting... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-spy-quints-not-typo-counting-t315939.html)

Gemm 07-23-2021 02:12 PM

I Spy Quints (not a typo!) and counting...

4 Attachment(s)
In my intro to the board, I explained how I had taken quite a long break from quilting, but found myself getting back into it when I was living in lockdown due to the global pandemic. I was, at first, very limited in terms of what I had to hand, and so that dictated my first quilting endeavours. One of the first things I made was an I Spy quilt for a friend/colleague's child - I had quite a collection of novelty prints (mostly FQs or less) left over from the 90s, and so I started. As I laid out the quilt, I learned that a LQS had set up online ordering with curbside pickup, and so I filled out my stash a bit. I spent a couple of weeks planning and cutting and putting it all together, and using this process to maintain some sanity. Fast forward a few weeks and I was finally able to deliver a quilt to my friend's daughter (socially-distanced, of course). My mother really liked what I had done and asked if I would be willing to make one for her friend who was expecting a grandchild. I had the fabric and the time, so I said I would. In the meantime, pictures of these quilts got circulated among my mother's friends and I started getting requests to make more quilts. No... not really more quilts. More of _these_ quilts. So they multiplied (as did my collection of novelty prints). I'm at the binding stage of I Spy Quilts # 4 and #5. I have one more "order" to fulfill, and I intend to take a long break after #6. I'm pretty done with novelty prints for now. Don't get me wrong - I have enjoyed this. They are quite fun to make and I enjoy the fussy cutting, but I've also been really glad for a few other projects that have allowed me to believe that I'm not "just" an I Spy quiltmaker! I'd be curious to know if others have had this same sort of experience - being "known" for a certain type or style of quilt and having trouble breaking out of that cycle.

tallchick 07-23-2021 02:31 PM

What fun quilts! Kudos on such a undertaking, I am sure they will be treasured, sew much fun!

toogie 07-23-2021 03:40 PM

Well first of all let me say how much I love your quilts. My husband and I both like scrappy. Maybe it brings us back to our childhood when you used fabric you had on hand from recycle or feed sack, etc. I have never thought to put so many different blocks and that in itself helps the scrappiness. I see different size just squares, 4 patches, D9P blocks, love this. Was this an idea you conceived or a pattern you saw?
I made an I Spy Maze once because I sew for charity a lot. I want to make one like yours now.
Speaking of being know for a certain style of quilt, in my sewing group I guess I am known to like to work with panels and I can do so much more. I don’t like to make the same pattern twice.
Keep up the great work. Sewing and quilting has saved a lot of our sanity during these times.-Toogie

sewbizgirl 07-23-2021 03:49 PM

Love that your I-Spy’s have different size squares and rectangles. That really gives them a design edge!

fatsewcat 07-23-2021 03:58 PM

These are great quilts! I love them. I love doing I spy quilts.

you asked if anyone has gotten caught up with requests. Mine haven’t been for quilts per se but for memory bears and pillows. I have made some memory / tshirt quilts but it’s the bears and pillows that bring in some of the requests.

thanks for sharing.

Jingle 07-23-2021 05:15 PM

All the quilts are very pretty and colorful. The kids will love them.

Gemm 07-23-2021 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by toogie (Post 8497910)
. I see different size just squares, 4 patches, D9P blocks, love this. Was this an idea you conceived or a pattern you saw?

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments. I've so appreciated everything I've learned already here and it's because of this being such a great community. :-)

Toogie - back in the 90s when I started playing with novelty fabrics but didn't really have a plan, I started cutting the motifs in standard sizes that would play well with each other, and that's how the blocks got built. The smallest patches are 2-1/2", and I just play around with different combinations to finish up with a 12-1/2" block. I actually have a queen sized I Spy top using these blocks from back in the day... life's path may have got a bit twisted along the way, but I'm just not ready to get rid of it. I've thought about cannibalizing it for these requested quilts, but I remember how happy I was when I was making it and so it's staying in my UFO pile for now. :-)

toogie 07-23-2021 05:53 PM

=35pxactually have a queen sized I Spy top using these blocks from back in the day

i would love to see it! I’m like you, there are some for one reason of another I can’t let go of, especially right away.

Gemm 07-23-2021 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by fatsewcat (Post 8497917)
you asked if anyone has gotten caught up with requests. Mine haven’t been for quilts per se but for memory bears and pillows. I have made some memory / tshirt quilts but it’s the bears and pillows that bring in some of the requests.

Fatsewcat - I hadn't heard of memory bears before; what a lovely idea! Something like that would be such a cherished thing. <3

Toogie - I'll work on it. I don't think I can get it on the clothesline without dragging it in the garden, but I'll give it a go when I dig it out of its hidey-hole!

Tartan 07-23-2021 08:07 PM

Cute I Spy quilts!