Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Idea - Inexpensive Cutting Table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/idea-inexpensive-cutting-table-t62450.html)

miholmes 08-31-2010 06:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We recently moved into a house that had a 50's kitchen. We remodeled it and I was fortunate enough to rescue the old kitchen island.

I then bought a piece of damaged OSB board from my hardware store for $10 and secured it to the top of the island. After that I purchased a large cutting mat from Joann's when they were having their 50% sale and created a cutting board at the perfect height. :)

The other bonus....STORAGE under the cutting board. I store my serger, books, and other notions under there keeping my stations nice and tidy.

Craigslist and the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store are a good place to find old kitchen island for little to no money. I searched for on in my area and found one for $25.

For my NEXT project this weekend I want to make my own ironing board so it can accomedate a full width of fabric. So I'm going to make one with OSB - Batting - and Canvas. And it can easily sit on top of my cutting station. Space saver AND time saver now that I will be able to iron more cloth at once. :)

Cutting board up close
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108531[/ATTACH]

Sewing room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108532[/ATTACH]

MzMcKee 08-31-2010 06:10 PM

Wow.. What a room. How much sq footage to you have in there? I want to make a topper for my fat Rowenta board, but I don't think I have enough room in my room for more then what I have there now.

craftybear 08-31-2010 06:10 PM

I love your sewing room and cool idea for your cutting table!

erstan947 08-31-2010 06:11 PM

Good save. I need a handy man around to do my work station designing. Good Job.

miholmes 08-31-2010 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MzMcKee
Wow.. What a room. How much sq footage to you have in there? I want to make a topper for my fat Rowenta board, but I don't think I have enough room in my room for more then what I have there now.

I'm not sure....it's the entire half of our basement. So I am fortunate to have space to streatch out. Also on the other side is my new toy.

Someday I would LOVE to get an Imperial frame. But for now this setup is great for me, and what I could afford....now I'm eatting ramen noodle for a few mohts until all of my quilting bills are paid off....:)

Mega Quilter/Inspira/Qbot
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108534[/ATTACH]

SharonAnne 08-31-2010 06:19 PM

Nice digs. You are neater than I could ever think to be.... Great job on the cutting table.

MzMcKee 08-31-2010 06:22 PM

RedGarnet222 08-31-2010 06:54 PM

Michael ... You the man! I love your idea. I wish I had the room to incorporate it into my space. But, if you saw my thread earlier this week, you know that it is way too small for this tip.
The rest of the room is set up nicely too. It looks so functional. I love that!

Quilter7x 08-31-2010 06:54 PM

You're making great use of items and space in your sewing studio Michael. And I love the dark green on the walls! :D

Grammy o'5 08-31-2010 07:05 PM

A very, very nice room, great set-up and all those machines, too!! Love it! :thumbup: I would eat Ramen noodles for awhile too! LOL! :D