Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I'm learning (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/im-learning-t145755.html)

butterflies5518 08-18-2011 09:38 AM

Your gifts are beautiful. I recently made my son a quilt (I am a newbie) but not his fiance'. I made her a fleece tie blanket last year and recently spotted it in the dog kennel. She will not receive hand made gifts going forward.

Tweety2911 08-18-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
if more time goes by without their contacting you, send them an email or text or note in the mail stating you are a bit worried since those handmade qlts cost you so much to make and send. hint, hint.
then forget it and buy any future gifts as you said.
((()))

My thoughts also. I'd cross them off my list after that...only make for people I know would appreciate my quilts.

suesembroidery 08-18-2011 10:09 AM

I now send a check. When they cash it I know they got it. My work is to good for people that don't like that kind of stuff, graduate without learning to read and write, so bad they can't buy a stamp, don't realize the worth of love spent to make a one of a kind item just for them.

Much less money spent and more for me to buy for my crafts/sewing. Your quilts are beautiful, we on the board all realize the work and money that went into a gift like that. I am sure many of us wish we were on your gift list. Thank you for them.

Slow2Sew 08-18-2011 10:21 AM

Graduation is a busy time, give them a couple of weeks and maybe you will at least get a card.

lisajane 08-18-2011 10:44 AM

I'll be your niece or nephew!! And I won't miss a beat when it comes time for a little appreciation or recognition. It seems the younger they are the less appreciative they are. You do wonderful work. It is a shame no one has the time for a 2 minute "thank you" phone call. Maybe, if you become a little (FORGETFUL)at Graduations, Christmas, Baby Showers, Birthdays, etc. It might make a few people become more thankful for the things that you do. As the old saying goes, "Nobody notices what I do, until I don't do it".

grannyoquilting 08-18-2011 11:05 AM

I too have had this same experience with my nephews. I have made baby quilts for their children and no thank yous. So this younger generation has not been trained to send notes of thanks. To bad, they are missing the point all together. So just be glad you did what your heart said to do and send only a card from now on. YOu have paid for the future gifts with the quilt!!!!

Jammin' Jane 08-18-2011 11:08 AM

I am happy to hear they are coming through with thank you notes! How could anyone NOT appreciate those quilts. It seems our lives get so busy that simple thank you's don't get done. I keep a "thank you" notepad so the special things people do for me don't go unnoticed! It's a wonderful way to keep friends and family close! My heart goes out to everyone who has made quilts (and other items) and there is never a thank you to be seen or heard! People can be so ungrateful. Hugs to all of you!

smcfadden 08-18-2011 11:11 AM

When I offered to make a quilt for my granddaughter and sent pics to her mom of the stars I was going to use and then didn't hear back, I decided that I'd just make her a tote bag with the stars. It's way too much work for something that may not be appreciated. I emphathize with you! My parents always had us kids write out thank yous before we could play with our gifts, so I don't get it when folks don't do this.

smcfadden 08-18-2011 11:12 AM

Good answer!

smcfadden 08-18-2011 11:13 AM

Good answer, Judi Marvin!