Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   IRR II GROUP 5 PICTURES - "THREADS ACROSS THE OCEAN" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/irr-ii-group-5-pictures-%22threads-across-ocean%22-t26704.html)

Leota 04-30-2010 08:16 AM

I'm not in this but here's my two cents.. I like the checker board. The flowers distract from the center

Butterflyspain 04-30-2010 08:20 AM

Hi, thanks Pam for all your input, but I really am not a fan of the checkerboard design. I love the floral patterns you have in the white that you showed, those in each corner would be beautiful with just a plain black connecting border.

Thank you so much Hope that helped you

Elle

pittsburgpam 04-30-2010 08:20 AM

I see it as the flowers not detracting from the center but bringing the look and feeling of the center out to the border. If the checkerboard is done in watercolor that could bring it out too.

I do like the floral on black. I'll get some fabric in the wash, will wash the Fusions jelly roll strips (though I wouldn't normally wash JRs). Can't take a chance with not washing with all those different fabrics in the quilt and likely to not shrink the same.

Butterflyspain 04-30-2010 08:23 AM

Well I donīt know, as I said I donīt like checkerboard but I will leave it up to you.

Elle

pittsburgpam 04-30-2010 08:33 AM

Elle, I also like the florals. I just got some freezer paper to try an applique method I saw on Sharon Schamber's website too. I think those applique patterns are pretty small so I will scan them and print them a little larger on the freezer paper and be able to place the pieces on the border where they fit well.

Butterflyspain 04-30-2010 09:44 AM

Great, really look forward to seeing it Pam, thanks so much for all your thoughtfulness.

Elle x

Gwyn 04-30-2010 10:25 AM

I really like the floral on the black best. It seems to keep the flow of the pattern going.

sew cornie 04-30-2010 12:35 PM

I'm in a different group, but if you don't mind my 2 cents worth:

I went back and looked on pg. 31 at Elle's top. Elle's center has a softness to it, with the gentleness of the tree branch and flowers. The checkerboard seems too rigid and from the EQ6 picture, IMO, makes the center recede too much - like you're looking at it far off through a window. The black border with floral applique brings the center right out. I really like the patterns you posted, Pam. They look like they'd have the same elegant movement that the center does and would be very complimentary.

blueribbontoes 04-30-2010 03:52 PM

Hi all, any ideas for Gwyns center? The hearts are so beautiful, and intimidating!

sandpat 04-30-2010 04:22 PM

Wow...lots of great brainstorming for Elle's center...sorry for the typo on the page # for Elle's center..it was early this morning...Anyway...Pam, you have some lovely floral applique designs and I can't wait to see what you come up with. You are really the best one for the final decision because you are the only one who can see the "real" thing. As we all know, things look different in person... looks like you are on your way now though

BRT...I'll go find the pic of Gwyn's center and try to post the correct page number for it....then we can think.... Its on page 33.

Just a thought after looking for a few minutes....what about some type of twisting ribbon that would echo the swag/bird border, but picking up the blues/purples and greens in the center? It seems to need some colors from the center brought back out at this point....just a first thought...I'll keep thinking. I think it needs to be pretty simple and open so as not to detract from the center and hearts?