Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   ISO Ideas for finishing a top that my mom picked up at a yardsale for $25. I think it's Sunbonnet Sue or the like (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/iso-ideas-finishing-top-my-mom-picked-up-yardsale-%2425-i-think-its-sunbonnet-sue-like-t122255.html)

AngieS 05-10-2011 09:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My Mom bought this for me sometime either last year or maybe the year before. I had really forgotten that I had it. I hadn't done anything with it because I really wasn't sure what to do with it. Should I add a border? Should I add pink? White? I know that the fabric is very thin but it is really pretty. She left the lil tag on it to prove that she paid $25 for it. I was surprised!

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

BETTY62 05-10-2011 09:37 PM

I would add a pink border. It is going to be beautiful when completed.

AngieS 05-10-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by BETTY62
I would add a pink border. It is going to be beautiful when completed.

My only concern was matching the pink. Do I worry about the shade of pink that it is? That's why I am asking because I haven't the foggiest of ideas. Thank you. :)

Ramona Byrd 05-10-2011 09:42 PM

That is real cute. And if it's very thin, you could back it with something white. Then quilt it. Cream or pinkish backing maybe?

How big is it? Going to be a wall hanging or a couch throw? Lap robe for a lady or little girl? If no one wants it, my address is.......

AngieS 05-10-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
That is real cute. And if it's very thin, you could back it with something white. Then quilt it. Cream or pinkish backing maybe?

How big is it? Going to be a wall hanging or a couch throw? Lap robe for a lady or little girl? If no one wants it, my address is.......

Ramona-It's 42 1/2" X 56 1/2". I was curious if it needed a border or not. It has the cornerstones in each of the corners. Not sure what size it needs to be. :)

Thanks for your input ladies. :)

Durinda 05-10-2011 09:57 PM

If you can't match the pale pink, you could go for the darker shade of pink like some of the hats. It is very pretty! :) :)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-10-2011 10:37 PM

It's big enough to be a kid's quilt without a border. If you are happy with the size, leave it alone.

Because it's so thin, I might back it with some kind of cheap white before I quilt it. If you don't, you may end up with everything showing through.

Painiacs 05-10-2011 11:14 PM

That is soo cute!

Janquiltz 05-10-2011 11:45 PM

A pale green or yellow border at least 2" wider than the sashing might look pretty. I do agree with Lisa about backing the top with some white muslin or something similar before sandwiching the batting and backing and quilting. With those embellishments and the thin fabric, the SBS's are going to need some stability behind them. Sure is a pretty little quilt - someone spent a lot of time making this.

LAQUITA 05-11-2011 12:01 AM

I would suggest backing it with a white or off white first since the material is so thin, then I would ook at pulling out one of the other colors for the broder, say red or yellow? Even brown goes good with pink.

HTH