Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Jazzed over "No Waste Windmill" pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/jazzed-over-%22no-waste-windmill%22-pattern-t107848.html)

Quiltgranny 03-15-2011 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Anita Soloman Grossman is a terrific woman, she has the best ideas for time saving when quilting. Your quilt is so lovely, I may have to buy her book-great colors...much better than a bag!

I agree, totally! :thumbup: This book is worth every penny!! I am a visual learner, and she has oodles of wonderful color photos and excellent step by step instructions in this book.

Grama Lehr 03-15-2011 09:59 AM

Love your color choice!!! It really looks great!!

montanajan 03-15-2011 10:03 AM

Love your fabric choices & your design board!

kittenquilts 03-15-2011 10:04 AM

Love your colors! Beautiful job!

Quiltgranny 03-15-2011 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by montanajan
Love your fabric choices & your design board!

Thanks. My design wall is two pieces of 58" wide flannel backed table cloth fabric from Ben Franklin. Works very well. :thumbup:

SueDor 03-15-2011 10:49 AM

I like it!

BizzieLizzie 03-15-2011 02:37 PM

Gorgeous use of colours! Love it!

midwestqltr 03-15-2011 04:02 PM

Wow! I like that.

Annaquilts 03-15-2011 04:15 PM

Oh so pretty!

I am working on the same pattern with mostly novelty prints, I spy style, for my grand daughter Juliet (3 months old). I am strugling with sewing them together. I must be doing something wrong because other people have mentioned how easy it was.

I also made the no waste square in a square pattern she has in that book. That one whipped up real easy for me.

Did you use the paper to cut through or did you mark a cutting board and cut it that way? I tried the paper on top of the fabric for the no waste pin wheel and it kept moving on me so my cut was way off. I did much better laying it on the cutting board that is marked and then cutting it.

Quiltgranny 03-15-2011 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Oh so pretty!

I am working on the same pattern with mostly novelty prints, I spy style, for my grand daughter Juliet (3 months old). I am strugling with sewing them together. I must be doing something wrong because other people have mentioned how easy it was.

I also made the no waste square in a square pattern she has in that book. That one whipped up real easy for me.

Did you use the paper to cut through or did you mark a cutting board and cut it that way? I tried the paper on top of the fabric for the no waste pin wheel and it kept moving on me so my cut was way off. I did much better laying it on the cutting board that is marked and then cutting it.

Hi Anna,

Now, I'll bet this will look adorable in eye spy prints. :thumbup: What a cute idea! What a very lucky granddaughter you have. I used the paper template, but I used a glue stick to glue the outer edges of the template to the edges of the fabric on top of the stack. The glue stick held the template to the fabric just fine, and since it was glued to the outer edges of the fabric, no glue got on any of the pieces that were to be sewn. Did you try the glue stick trick?

I will try the other method next time and see which way I prefer.

Nice to hear that you had success with the Square in a Square project. That will definitely be my next project from Anita's book. I just LOVE her methods, so quick and easy. On this one though, I am having to be very careful of the orientation of my patches, lest I should sew a purple windmill blade to a green windmill! :shock: :lol: