Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Just Doodlin' (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/just-doodlin-t109679.html)

Plain Jane 03-23-2011 08:58 AM

Oh, wow! You've got some amazing skills.

QuilterMomma 03-23-2011 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by doowopddbop

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
...I too am curious as to your technique. Did you mark it out some how?

Thanks for your comments! Boy do I love this board for all the comment love!

I drew out the shape I needed, cut it out of a cereal box, then used a piece of cheap white chalk to outline the two body shapes where I needed them to land. Those were quilted separately, adding the headdress feathers, arms and legs where they needed to be. The rest is just freehand filler doodling to fit around the kokopellis. I chalk an X if I need a particular motif to land in a particular spot, then just put the music on and go for it.

I don't use pantographs - I am not very good at that, and for another $15,000 I could add a computer to my existing machine... probably not gonna happen. To me, it's art - doodling with my giant machine, taking clues from the fabric/design/piecing (and client's preference) to decide how to quilt it. Quilts talk to me... :)

Oh you are so right about letting the quilt talk to you. Using the computer I think takes the artistic talent out of the picture and makes it manufactured. The freedom of expression is all over this one girl.

quiltingal 03-23-2011 11:13 AM

Your doodling is gorgeous.

nickylsf 03-23-2011 11:26 AM

I love my job. I get to doodle with my giant (longarm) sewing machine! Quilted some fun dancing Kokopellis in a client's southwest quilt last week and wanted to share it. I love the texture of quilting that brings a quilt to life, enhances the design, but doesn't overpower the piecework. But OK, I'll confess: I also love when the back of the quilt shows off the quilting!! ;-)

Very nice! What type and thickness of batting did you use?

ladyshuffler 03-23-2011 11:32 AM

Very nice job!!

Dianne1 03-23-2011 12:14 PM

Wow/ That is fantastic.

Babs194068 03-23-2011 12:43 PM

That is awesome

trolleystation 03-23-2011 01:16 PM

The quilt is great...the quilting is Fabulous.

doowopddbop 03-23-2011 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf

The client supplied Hobbs Polydown Plus batting, don't know the weight, but I would guess 6 oz. A little more plush than I usually use, but certainly helped define the quilting!

nickylsf 03-23-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf

The client supplied Hobbs Polydown Plus batting, don't know the weight, but I would guess 6 oz. A little more plush than I usually use, but certainly helped define the quilting!

Thanks, it does look poofier than what we usually see, but really makes the quilting stand out. Beautiful!