Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Just a few of my grandma's quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/just-few-my-grandmas-quilts-t2587.html)

Rebecca Chambley 10-04-2007 06:24 AM

Is she able to give you any background on her beauties, Ex: Year, Who for, Pattern, things like that. Did she sign them. What precious memories and all the thoughts that where going on in her head as she was designing and sewing.

nanabirdmo 10-04-2007 06:28 AM

thanks so much for sharing. i caught my breath when i saw the fan quilt. that is my kind of quilt!!!! :mrgreen:
they are all such treasures. i simply adore old quilts.
i agree with kathy, be sure to document them for your insurance, and of course for future generations.

Yvonne 10-04-2007 07:37 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to share these treasures with us. They are absolutely gorgeous. I love the fan quilt and those owls sure gave me a smile. Lovely! Can't wait to see what else you find.

amma 10-04-2007 08:33 AM

Wow, what awesome quilted treasures! Love them all, thank you so much for sharing them with us :D It is like Christmas in October, can't wait to see more as you find them. I bet you are enjoying the "treasure" hunt :D

bj 10-04-2007 10:07 AM

I love the quilts. I sure hope you find the others. Things do have a way of disappearing along with the stories that go with them. The fan quilt is awesome. Almost looks like a drunkards path variation. I love them all.

SewSew2 11-05-2007 06:40 AM

What a great find and to know your grandmothers tiny hands made each. They are beautiful.....thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Shadow Dancer 11-05-2007 09:26 AM

What wonderful keepsakes. Beautiful! Can't wait to see more. :)

Jane Sisk 11-05-2007 09:46 AM

Thank you sharing your beautiful treasures. I am 66yrs old and I have some of my grandmothers quilts made in thes 40's and 50's. Will post pictues when I am able to be on my feet more. two of them are tulip quillts and I am going to try and duplicate the pattern some day and make one of my own.

My 14 yr. old GD saw the quilts and wanted one to keep. She said "grandma these are just quilts they are treasures". she loved hearing the stories of the different fabrics and from whose clothing scraps they were made. some from flour sacks and others from scraps she saved. She lived with us and I remember sitting and watching her cut the pieces from every tiny scrap and then hand sewing them together. I don't know how they managed to do it with rotary cutters and sewing machines. Then she would drop her quilting frame down from the ceiling and hand quilt them.

Makes me feel pretty humble!!

Jane Sisk

Diane007 09-24-2012 07:01 PM

my favorite is the Owls

irishrose 09-24-2012 07:28 PM

I really like the red and white one, but then I like curved patterns. The unidentified 'thread' is probably candlewicking cotton. Similar to some crochet cottons, but less finished - not as twisted. It was big in the 70s.