Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Larry's Puzzle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/larrys-puzzle-t203575.html)

dilyn 10-18-2012 11:48 AM

Larry's Puzzle

4 Attachment(s)
I just finished this little quilt (65X65) this afternoon. I’m calling it Larry’s Puzzle because I turned over a problem I was having to my DBIL to puzzle out. I wanted to cut the strips for the striped fabric by sewing the orange, striped, orange strips together and the cut them at a 45% angle to get my chevrons. After wasting some of my fabric, I swallowed my pride and called my sister to enlist the help of my DBIL. He had my answer in a very short time and told me he just had to use pythagorean theorem to solve the problem. Now I don’t even know what that is, (I googled it and I still don’t know what it is), but I’m glad he knows because I was able make this quilt from start to finish in less than a week! Thank you, Larry! I hope you’ve let your brain rest up, because I have another idea for a quilt that I don’t have a pattern for…… J

QuiltnNan 10-18-2012 12:10 PM

what a wonderful quilt! the Pythagorean Theorem states that the square of the hypotenuse [longest side of the right triangle] is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. i often use that when i need to know how big to make my setting triangles.

dilyn 10-18-2012 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5595153)
what a wonderful quilt! the Pythagorean Theorem states that the square of the hypotenuse [longest side of the right triangle] is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. i often use that when i need to know how big to make my setting triangles.

Math has never been my strong suit...well actually it is my weakest suit, but I have lots of relatives that are good at it!

Tartan 10-18-2012 12:20 PM

Great quilts and I am math challenged as well.

MTS 10-18-2012 12:32 PM

And look at that back .............FABULOUS!!

Here are all the other things I love about this quilt:

I really like that the stripes on the front are offset a bit from one of the corners in the rectangles..it makes a much more interesting design.

Also, your FMQ on the pink is wonderful. At first glance it looks like the fabric pattern.

And your set-up for the photo...lovely.

A basic 3 fabric simple design but you really made it into something wonderful.
You made the fabric work for you.

Much better than a WW quilt anyday.

Diane007 10-18-2012 12:37 PM

nice

just love your quilting

Hattie Frances 10-18-2012 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5595153)

Show Off!! I didn't understand any of what you said. But that quilt is beautiful, love the back also.

serenitybygrace 10-18-2012 01:22 PM

I am so excited that you brought up the Pythagorean Theorem in figuring out quilt pieces. I hope it is okay if we talk about this with the students tomorrow. I would like to show a picture of your beautiful quilt. I love the pattern and colors.
I am currently working as a Paraprofessional in a middle school. I am in an 8th grade algebra class once a day. Currently we are learning about the Pythagorean Theorem. I can say this, I have a masters degree and don't remember ever learning about this Theorem before. In fact, I am learning their 8th grade algebra with them so that I can help the students.

terri bb 10-18-2012 01:39 PM

this is so very beautiful! i just love the way it came together and can't figure out if i like the back or the front better! you did a phenominal job!

dilyn 10-18-2012 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by serenitybygrace (Post 5595301)
I am so excited that you brought up the Pythagorean Theorem in figuring out quilt pieces. I hope it is okay if we talk about this with the students tomorrow. I would like to show a picture of your beautiful quilt. I love the pattern and colors.
I am currently working as a Paraprofessional in a middle school. I am in an 8th grade algebra class once a day. Currently we are learning about the Pythagorean Theorem. I can say this, I have a masters degree and don't remember ever learning about this Theorem before. In fact, I am learning their 8th grade algebra with them so that I can help the students.

You may use my photos freely! I wish I had had practical way to apply some of the math we learned. Some of just seemed like busy work!