Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry's Puzzle

Larry's Puzzle

I just finished this little quilt (65X65) this afternoon. I’m calling it Larry’s Puzzle because I turned over a problem I was having to my DBIL to puzzle out. I wanted to cut the strips for the striped fabric by sewing the orange, striped, orange strips together and the cut them at a 45% angle to get my chevrons. After wasting some of my fabric, I swallowed my pride and called my sister to enlist the help of my DBIL. He had my answer in a very short time and told me he just had to use pythagorean theorem to solve the problem. Now I don’t even know what that is, (I googled it and I still don’t know what it is), but I’m glad he knows because I was able make this quilt from start to finish in less than a week! Thank you, Larry! I hope you’ve let your brain rest up, because I have another idea for a quilt that I don’t have a pattern for…… J
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    what a wonderful quilt! the Pythagorean Theorem states that the square of the hypotenuse [longest side of the right triangle] is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. i often use that when i need to know how big to make my setting triangles.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    what a wonderful quilt! the Pythagorean Theorem states that the square of the hypotenuse [longest side of the right triangle] is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. i often use that when i need to know how big to make my setting triangles.
    Math has never been my strong suit...well actually it is my weakest suit, but I have lots of relatives that are good at it!

Power Poster
    Great quilts and I am math challenged as well.

MTS
    Banned
    And look at that back .............FABULOUS!!

Here are all the other things I love about this quilt:

I really like that the stripes on the front are offset a bit from one of the corners in the rectangles..it makes a much more interesting design.

Also, your FMQ on the pink is wonderful. At first glance it looks like the fabric pattern.

And your set-up for the photo...lovely.

A basic 3 fabric simple design but you really made it into something wonderful.
    You made the fabric work for you.

Much better than a WW quilt anyday.

Blog Entries
    nice

just love your quilting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Show Off!! I didn't understand any of what you said. But that quilt is beautiful, love the back also.

I am so excited that you brought up the Pythagorean Theorem in figuring out quilt pieces. I hope it is okay if we talk about this with the students tomorrow. I would like to show a picture of your beautiful quilt. I love the pattern and colors.
    I am currently working as a Paraprofessional in a middle school. I am in an 8th grade algebra class once a day. Currently we are learning about the Pythagorean Theorem. I can say this, I have a masters degree and don't remember ever learning about this Theorem before. In fact, I am learning their 8th grade algebra with them so that I can help the students.

this is so very beautiful! i just love the way it came together and can't figure out if i like the back or the front better! you did a phenominal job!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

Quote Originally Posted by serenitybygrace View Post
    I am so excited that you brought up the Pythagorean Theorem in figuring out quilt pieces. I hope it is okay if we talk about this with the students tomorrow. I would like to show a picture of your beautiful quilt. I love the pattern and colors.
    I am currently working as a Paraprofessional in a middle school. I am in an 8th grade algebra class once a day. Currently we are learning about the Pythagorean Theorem. I can say this, I have a masters degree and don't remember ever learning about this Theorem before. In fact, I am learning their 8th grade algebra with them so that I can help the students.
    You may use my photos freely! I wish I had had practical way to apply some of the math we learned. Some of just seemed like busy work!

The quilt is wonderful. And the backing and quilting are out of this world too.

The theorem stated more simply is Square one side of your triangle, add it to the square of the other side and the two of them added together they are the the square of the diagonal side. Once I used some formula I had had in class to figure out what was the biggest quilting square I could put in a round hoop for a decoration. I told my teacher the next day and she got a good laugh. I was a returning student which simply means I was a little older when I start college.
    DEB CAVAN

Blog Entries
    Beautiful. ,
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    Great job - It is beautiful!

What a lovely quilt. Great fabric choice.

WOW....awesome!! The quilting is beautiful, too!!
    Grama Laura

Awesome quilt
    Pat M.

Well, I think Larry is wonderful to help you. I learned the pythagorean theorem in school but never thought I'd ever need to apply it in my quilting. I also learned how to subtract one algebraic formula from another in school and found out I actually had to use that knowledge at my job ... you never know what will prove useful later! Your piecing is absolutely beautiful and so is the quilting. Lovely work!

Both sides are terrific!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt and backing is very striking! Love your quilting!
    Helen T.

This came out wonderful. You and your brother in law should go into the pattern designing business. I'd sure buy this pattern.
    Be a girl with a mind, a women with attitude and a lady with class.

Beautiful quilt and the back is stunning!!!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Really nice quilt

Another math challenged here: I do have a math savvy husband and friend that I can use! Love the back almost as much as the front. Sandy 64

What a great collaboration, you for having the idea and DBIL for the calculations. It is a beautiful quilt.

Very pretty, great job and thank you for sharing
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast