Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Lets see your "first" quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/lets-see-your-%22first%22-quilt-t133876.html)

pledig 06-30-2011 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some of those first quilts are amazing! I am really a newbie and have just finished my first. I have learned so much by reading your posts. This was paper-pieced using coffee filters and an old sheet for backing and border, hence the slightly wavy borders. It was a fun experience and I hope to improve.

callie 06-30-2011 10:09 AM

Every single quilt shown is awesome for different reasons. Love them all. My first was a quilt for my first born (some 45 years ago) and don't have it any more. I hope each of you ladies can treasure these first ones. Be sure to keep a picture of each and every single quilt you make. You will be amazed in a few years at the difference and "what" you have accomplished.

Maria C 06-30-2011 01:24 PM

I agree. The work is great that we have all done and I enjoy seeing the growth. Another post would be good to do a first quilt and then the last quilt you made to see what range we are all doing now. Most enjoyable to see the beginnings, and impressive of course, of peoples journey in quilting and how they started. Thanks for sharing everyone.

Jennifer22206 06-30-2011 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know if I have a picture of my first.

Everyone's is so special!

This is either 1st or 2nd.. Luck o The Irish..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219060[/ATTACH]

AZTeri 06-30-2011 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my first one. I made this probably 20 years ago. I cut all the pieces out with a template, machine pieced it, then hand quilted it. It took 2 years. I made a small quilt, all machine after that, then didn't touch any sewing until 2008 when I made a rail fence, that I messed up by sewing the two sides together wrong. I'm right on course, just discovered that TATW that I am doing, I did the same thing! Now, it's a huge X instead. But you know what? DH likes it so I'm not fixing it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol: :D

Oh, the first quilt - it doesn't look it but it's actually red and white. I used a sheet (didn't know you weren't supposed to). The pattern is from Georgia Bonesteel's Spinning Spools book. It's called Double Wedding Ring - not at all like the other DWR's I've seen.

Ioftheneedle 06-30-2011 02:20 PM

I don't have pictures (becaue I gave it away) but I think my first quilt was for my first grandson. It was made starting with large a center square of a rabbit and I worked out from there with strips. Now I have found I might have broken all the rules but I enjoyed doing it and I think my dil enjoyed receiving it. I imagine the binding work was pitiful.

applique 06-30-2011 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1972 made for my daughter. No longer has any quilting and very brittle. No books or magazines so no idea of how to applique. Even 'appliqued' the sashing with embroidery thread!

purple_butterfly 06-30-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by laalaaquilter

Originally Posted by purple_butterfly
WOW! I am totally floored by some of these first quilts :shock:

Here are my meager offerings. I divided a few fat quarter packs and made 2. I had the packs for a few years before I was brave enough to cut them :oops:

:shock: Had to wait to get brave and then chose a bargello! Good grief girl! Great job on both.

Thankyou :?

Kallen 06-30-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by dallen4350
I'm still a newbie. I have only finished two quilts.
This is my first one. I haven't come so far... yet.
Seeing all the beautiful quilts on the board keep me inspired.
Thanks everyone!

Are you kidding me?? This is gorgeous. You were meant to be a quilter!

dlwillia 07-01-2011 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My first quilt Stitches on the Oregon Trail,still on my bed today. Had a lovely story with each block all hand pieced and hand quilted. I dragged this quilt around for 2 1/2 years. Im suprised its held up so well