Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Merry, Pics of my embellished applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/merry-pics-my-embellished-applique-t151929.html)

deanneellen 09-11-2011 06:44 PM

Beautiful work!

KastleKitty 09-11-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ccthomas
Like everyone has posted, your beading and applique are beautiful. So much talent. Do you have art training? Did you have formal classes?

I, too, am looking forward to seeing your tutorial but I am like really sure that there is no way that I could do anything like this - if it involves painting, finding all these beads, I can't imagine being successful.

Your work is at the master level. Beautiful. (I am at Parkersburg, WV) I can only enjoy "weeds" and "herbs" as the deer eat everything - lost all geraniums and roses last night.

CC, My background is mostly in clothing construction. I have a degree in Clothing and Textiles, and I also took a couple of art classes along with it. I was never taught anything about quilting or applique. I came up with what I do on my own. I have yet to make a bedquilt. That is why I joined the board.

Finding the beads was fun! I check all the clearance belts and costume jewelry when I shop at Walmart. I have taken them apart for beads or whatnot. I scavenged my own jewelry box, have picked up things at yard sales, and those little jewelry/hair accessory places for young girls at the malls usually have some things on clearance for just a pittance that makes its way onto my work. The small granular wooden beads that look somewhat like coarse coffee grounds on some of the pieces came from a couple of chokers that cost me 50 cents each. I do like to buy glass beads and usually pick up a package when I do my weekly grocery shopping.

KastleKitty 09-11-2011 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Thanks so much for sharing the pictures of your beautiful work. Your stitches are so perfectly placed--I'm just amazed. I've done some embellishment on wool applique, but nothing that is close to being this beautiful. I am so looking forward to the information on the process.

Grambi, there is sort of a little trick to it, (besides being a little obsessive/compulsive! :oops: :-D :-D ) When you use machine straight stitching around your objects, and you sew carefully, you have a straight line to follow. I use that straight line to then hand embroider upon. Kitty

Grambi 09-11-2011 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by KastleKitty

Originally Posted by Grambi
Thanks so much for sharing the pictures of your beautiful work. Your stitches are so perfectly placed--I'm just amazed. I've done some embellishment on wool applique, but nothing that is close to being this beautiful. I am so looking forward to the information on the process.

Grambi, there is sort of a little trick to it, (besides being a little obsessive/compulsive! :oops: :-D :-D ) When you use machine straight stitching around your objects, and you sew carefully, you have a straight line to follow. I use that straight line to then hand embroider upon. Kitty

Kitty, Fantastic tip!!!! Thanks, Bambi

craftiladi 09-11-2011 07:23 PM

Amazing, each picture was even better then the one before, I am in complete ahhhh you do amazing work. i have always admired bead work but never tried it.

bob1414 09-11-2011 07:25 PM

Very, very creative - I likey!!!

MsMel 09-11-2011 07:31 PM

Wow...I am always in awe of the wonderful work I see on this site..

roxie623 09-12-2011 08:51 AM

OMG! I can't think of anything else to say except beautiful work.

mary quilting 09-12-2011 10:02 AM

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very nice

bbeyes 09-12-2011 11:29 AM

Love the dandelions you made but not the real ones.