Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   More Practice and Lessons Learned (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/more-practice-lessons-learned-t24853.html)

Marcia 08-31-2009 06:48 PM

I am glad to hear that you are persevering and not giving up---that persistence is what will make you a great quilter!! Just keep working at it! Your blocks are looking good.

MollieSue 08-31-2009 06:50 PM

Great job on your blocks!!! :thumbup: I love them in the Christmas fabrics!!!
~ another now added to my list! lol!!!!! :D
It's funny how you think you're sewing each seam perfectly, until you measure them.... The quilt top I just finished for my daughter started out being 7" blocks. They all ended up a perfect 6 3/4"! Some were a tad too short, so I shortened them all on each side. I could cheat as I was the one who made up the pattern. lol!!!
I think I'm going to copy your idea and mark my machine too, at 3/16th, as I usually have the same issue!

bearisgray 08-31-2009 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Your blocks are terrific looking!

The best advice I would give anyone of any level of experience is to pay attention to making sure your seams are straight and even. Whatever size your seam allowance is if your seams are at all crooked it will show in the finished size of your blocks. Also pay close attention to making sure your seams meet accurately and things will fall in place like they should!!

I like to take the time to tack a stitch instead of using pins when I am joining blocks together. A stitch is less likely to allow the fabric to move and pins don't always keep the fabric in place well enough when you are matching seams. I tack everywhere 2 seams meet and at the ends where the seam will go through. If you place your tacks where the seam will go through you don't have to take them back out and you don't have to mess with pins.

Keep up the good work!! Your blocks are looking great!!

Rhonda - do you usually also press your seams open, rather than to one side?

Rhonda 08-31-2009 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Your blocks are terrific looking!

The best advice I would give anyone of any level of experience is to pay attention to making sure your seams are straight and even. Whatever size your seam allowance is if your seams are at all crooked it will show in the finished size of your blocks. Also pay close attention to making sure your seams meet accurately and things will fall in place like they should!!

I like to take the time to tack a stitch instead of using pins when I am joining blocks together. A stitch is less likely to allow the fabric to move and pins don't always keep the fabric in place well enough when you are matching seams. I tack everywhere 2 seams meet and at the ends where the seam will go through. If you place your tacks where the seam will go through you don't have to take them back out and you don't have to mess with pins.

Keep up the good work!! Your blocks are looking great!!

Rhonda - do you usually also press your seams open, rather than to one side?

Yes Bear I always iron seams open. As I work with minis I think if the seam is ironed to the dark side -the fabric is raised on that seam and I don't like that. I like everything to lay flat. So if you open your seams and iron they will usually lay flat. If I have a seam or part of a seam that doesn't want to stay laying flat I just do the best I can. I iron and then as I iron the next one I will go over anything that isn't laying flat in the previous seams. Mine don't always want to stay flat but I use a scant 1/4" and that doesn't allow for much fabric left in the seam allowance. You can spray them with sizing and make the fabric lay flat but I don't usually bother unless it is in an area where I really need it to behave.

gaigai 08-31-2009 10:33 PM

Lisa, your blocks look great. Others have given the same advice I would, but it looks like you're doing just fine!!

pocoellie 09-01-2009 04:31 AM

Your blocks look great and you have learned and will learn lots of ways to do more than one thing. Great advice and I love starch, I cut strips and such, with the selvage edge(lengthwise) and I don't have the "elbow" problem. Keep on quilting, you're doing great.

Bevanger 09-01-2009 06:05 AM

Well, personally I think you should give yourself a good pat on the back. Your doing fantastic. Keep it up :thumbup: :thumbup:

wvdek 09-01-2009 06:12 AM

Great blocks and in Christmas colors no less. Looking good here.

Joan 09-01-2009 07:05 AM

great suggestions here---what an education I'm getting...
thanks to all the posters

Beautiful blocks, BTW! :lol:

Sheree from Chicago 09-03-2009 06:49 PM

Good Tip. Thanks