Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   More Practice and Lessons Learned (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/more-practice-lessons-learned-t24853.html)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-31-2009 06:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I spent a good part of Saturday trying to piece the perfect block. Since I was cutting imperfect strips, it wasn't an easy task.

After much reading, the best advice I could find on my impferct strips was it came from an imperfect fold of the fabric. I decided I'd have a perfect fold one way or the other. It involved pins and irons and starch, but I got there! My strips were very nearly perfect by the end of the day! Yeah!

The next thing I learned is starch is a beautiful thing. I love it. If I starch the fabric into cardboard, it cuts much nicer. :) Maybe I spent too many years working with construction paper.

The last thing I learned is square rulers are the best invention ever! I want one in every size possible.

These practice blocks are still not exactly perfect. My points have a habit of running away, but I'm getting there and having fun doing it.

Lisa

Mr Roosevelt's necktie - again slightly undersized
[ATTACH=CONFIG]47027[/ATTACH]

Shoofly variation - perfect size - a little funky on the points
[ATTACH=CONFIG]47028[/ATTACH]

Friendship star - about 1/4 undersized
[ATTACH=CONFIG]47029[/ATTACH]

sewjoyce 08-31-2009 06:41 AM

Well, I think you're doing just GREAT!!!! :D

KGoodhand 08-31-2009 06:43 AM

You keep saying - slightly undersized - have you checked your 1/4"?!? That will make a big difference too!

Esqmommy 08-31-2009 06:44 AM

You are doing amazingly well. Keep up the learning and practicing.

Ducky 08-31-2009 06:46 AM

Lisa, they look wonderful! You've done a great job. Keep going -- you're on a roll!

I had to laugh when I was reading what you said about starch. I learned that if I starch the heck out of something, I can do anything! I just discovered that with binding strips.

bearisgray 08-31-2009 06:51 AM

Very pretty and bright looking.

Have you checked your seams?

This has been mentioned here more than once, but it's still worth doing just to check on your "personal measurementd" - Mary Ellen Hopkins' term -

cut three strips 2 inches wide - they only need to be about six inches long

sew them together with your 1/4 inch seam - press like you usually do - measure -

the three strips sewn together should measure 5 inches -

if they measure more or less, then you need to do some adjusting with either how you cut or how you sew -

Some of the places where differences can happen:

In the original cutting - where do you put the line of your ruler?

When I cut a "two-inch strip" - even though I have the line at 2 inches on the fabric, it's a smidge wider than that because of the extra width gained from the distance the rotary blade is from the edge of the ruler and I sew with about a "real" 1/4 inch seam.

I've seen people use the lines on their mats as guides - the fabric they are cutting off is not under their ruler - so they might end up with "skimpy" two-inch strips

But if you are cutting "exact" two-inch strips, maybe you need to sew a "scant" quarter inch (which is somewhere between 3/16 and 15/64 of an inch)

Your pressing looks nice. If seams aren't pressed properly, little tucks or pleats can gather there also, and make the block "smaller"

Kyiav10 08-31-2009 06:52 AM

I think you are doing great!! I learned the hard way about folding too! But I have never used starch. Maybe I should try it sometime.

The blocks are coming together nicely.

Kyia

sandybeach 08-31-2009 06:56 AM

I learned this from a quilt guild member. If your blocks are slightly too small, you can iron them a little larger.

Take a piece of heavy muslin about 15 inches square. On it draw squares with a permanent marker starting about 5 or 6 inches. Go out 1/4 inch on all sides until you get a square about 12 1/2 inches. I keep this under my cutting board.

Now when you want to square up or enlarge a block, simply lay it evenly on the muslin, and, using a STEAM iron, iron it until it fits perfectly on the size square you need.

I hope this makes sense. I have a tendency to sew a little larger than 1/4 inch seam, so my blocks have a tendency to be a little too small.

Quilt4u 08-31-2009 08:10 AM

Great job.

Auntie M 08-31-2009 08:40 AM

I shrink with sprayed water and stretch 'em out with starch. It's amazing what can happen.