Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My 10-minute = 1 Hour Block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-10-minute-%3D-1-hour-block-t190252.html)

Helen S 05-28-2012 03:26 PM

My 10-minute = 1 Hour Block

2 Attachment(s)
I decided to give this pattern a try, since it seemed so very easy after watching a youtube video of how it's done. Well, the test block wasn't all that difficult once I figured out how to do it, so the rest will most likely be 20 minute blocks. lol I have to say I'm impressed with how big...or small...the blocks can be, since all of the five squares should be the same size. It's too simple math! I used 9", since that's the largest scrap I had in the fabrics I used. THEN I went to Joann's to see if I could match the fabric and got lucky, but since none of it happens to be on sale this weekend, I'll go back as soon as they put these on sale or I have a coupon to make it a better deal. ;)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]338505[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]338506[/ATTACH]

Helen S 05-28-2012 03:28 PM

BTW, I'm not sure, but I think the reason so many photos are coming out as links to larger ones is that some are using the "attachment" link instead of "insert image" link when uploading images for their new thread.

cjackaitlin 05-28-2012 03:34 PM

Nice colors, but then Blues are my favorite . I haven't tried this block yet. Thanks for sharing.

AZ Jane 05-28-2012 03:49 PM

Try the block using a smaller middle block!!

quiltinggirl 05-28-2012 03:53 PM

Great job!

Scrap41 05-28-2012 04:02 PM

Love your colors. I am doing this pattern with batiks, using the light colors in the center and med/dark for the corners;
I got 3 rows put together at a retreat the last of April and I am using 5 inch squares. The reason I am using 5" squares,
is that I am doing another quilt out of batiks that is called On Point, with a black batik sashing. This way I can use moreof my batiks in different quilts instead of cutting a 10 inch square out of a FQ and wasteing fabric. If there is some left, then I cut strings for my spiderweb quilt. I got 3 blocks done of the string spiderweb at retreat. I only
got one row of my guild quilt put together but I hope to have all 4 rows done before our June meeting. If other
things don't keep me from sewing. I will be teaching this 10 minute block at our summer one day retreat in July
and wanted to get a little more done on it so they can see what a row or two would look like using their fabrics.
Are you going to hand sew the center square to look like the cathedral window? I am thinking of doing that; and
putting a design in the center when I machine quilt it and doing meandering on the rest of it?? I laid out the 3
rows and I think I want to add 3 more blocks to it before I put borders on; so it will be 9 blocks across and 12/14
blocks long. I don't like square quilts. I looked at your picture again, I see you machine pieced the cathedral
window look, so disregard my question...lol

carol crosby 05-28-2012 04:20 PM

to make a picture bigger just click on it, at less that what my computer will let me do. And I know what yoor are talking about, I am blind, so much so my nose gets in the way. Oh by the way, I just love this sight. I can not wait to get coffee made and see what the quilting board has on. And I truly love all of the pictures. Just keep on QUILTING world.

The to you all,

Carol

gblake 05-28-2012 04:21 PM

where is the pattern

Deb watkins 05-28-2012 04:28 PM

This is a real fun block to do. You can enhance it even more by turning down the sides and inserting a smaller square , folding down the sides and which makes it a faux cathedral window.

coopah 05-28-2012 04:51 PM

Helen S, you can go online and print out a coupon...you don't have to wait until the weekend to by your fabric.