Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My 1st attempts at Applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-1st-attempts-applique-t105634.html)

ykreeves 03-08-2011 06:40 AM

You GO GIRL!!! Excellent work, wish I could do it!!!

Donna P 03-08-2011 06:47 AM

Very very pretty...great job

BobbysGirl 03-08-2011 06:48 AM

The best advice I ever got when I began applique work was "practice, practice, practice". I would also suggest you watch others who do it and go to as many classes you can. I pick up a little pointer from almost everyone I watch. Do you use freezer paper templates? That is how I do all of my work. I put it on the underside of the fabric and needle turn around the sharp edge of the paper. Then before I finish the piece I pull the paper out with forceps (therefore not comprimising the integrity of the back with cut holes).

sewmorethings 03-08-2011 06:49 AM

I can only wish my first attempt looked that good..........lol

Char 03-08-2011 07:22 AM

I only wish that my applique looked that good!!!

QuiltforPD 03-08-2011 07:59 AM

I see no errors. Very nice!!!!

ChildoftheUniverse 03-08-2011 08:02 AM

Wow... I only hope I can do as well, as I am taking a class this Friday... you've inspired me!

Tilladare 03-08-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by daylily4u
HI Tilladare, I just want to share with you that I always trace the applique flower (or whatever u want to app) onto tracing paper. Or I also use Whisperlite (applique overlay tracer) I cut the the tracing paper the same size as my block, then after tracing the design on the paper I pin the paper at the topof my fabric block this way I can see where I need to place the stem, leaf, flower etc. If you have to number the pieces do this on the tracing paper. After I place the stem and line it up to my picture, I pin this in place. I flip the paper over so I can sew the piece to the block. I hope u find this helpful. If u need to pm me feel free to do so. Blessings Barb

This sounds like something that could really help me with placement! I've never heard of Whisperlite... Do you happen to know who might sell this online? My Google search turned up a cook stove for backpackers! LOL

Tilladare 03-08-2011 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by BobbysGirl
The best advice I ever got when I began applique work was "practice, practice, practice". I would also suggest you watch others who do it and go to as many classes you can. I pick up a little pointer from almost everyone I watch. Do you use freezer paper templates? That is how I do all of my work. I put it on the underside of the fabric and needle turn around the sharp edge of the paper. Then before I finish the piece I pull the paper out with forceps (therefore not comprimising the integrity of the back with cut holes).

This sounds like an excellent technique! I have copy/pasted this into my Pages doc for future reference!
ATM, I am tracing around the template onto the right side of fabric with chalk pencil, then finger pressing the edges and "hoping for the best" LOL

BizzieLizzie 03-08-2011 08:40 AM

Lovely! Gorgeous flowers.