Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My attic windows (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-attic-windows-t21284.html)

GailG 02-22-2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by cuppi duke
I think I would stitch in the ditch on the outside of the daisy squares and either stipple or meander on the daisy's or perhaps quilt a daisy in the center square. As you can see, I like lots of quilting.

I've already done the SID around the daisy blocks and the "window sills." All that's left is the centers. I've just about had it on this one, so there won't be any meandering, but I may be reconsidering the daisy outline in each. Hmmm. Thanks for the input.

GailG 02-22-2010 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon

Originally Posted by GailG
Well, here we are -- six months later. Here's an update. The end is in sight. I tried machine quilting and it was a "no go." So I ripped and began hand stitching in the ditch. I have finally finished the ditching and am halfway done with the binding. All that will be left to do is deal with the windows.

I'm sorry Penny, but I really wanted to do what you suggested, but I've had it. I think I'll take perle cotton and turkey track in four points where the "panes" would have met.

So the graduation quilt will be delivered almost one year late.

I know how you feel getting to the end. Then when you do get to the end you feel light as a feather. :thumbup:

You're so right. If only I could lose the 35+ pounds as "easily" as finishing a project.

:lol:

GailG 02-22-2010 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by cmapco837
Love this pattern do you know where you got it? What size is it ? are you going to put borders on it?

Thank You Carolyn

The finished block is 12 1/2 inches square. The sashing is cut 2 inches. I actually didn't use any particular pattern. I looked in my books for techniques for assembling the attic windows block (the "chearer" method). I wish I remembered who to give the credit to but I'm really now sure. I know I had seen it once on Simply Quilts (perhaps Eleanor Burns) where, instead of the y-seam, a HST was used for the corner. The dimensions are somewhere in this thread. I cut the daisy block 9 1/2 inches square. The left side strip and the bottom strip were cut 9 1/2 x 3; Then I made the 3 inch HST. Hmm, will have to look back for the dimensions. Having a senior moment.

And no, there are no borders, only the brown sashing. I used the daisy print for a narrow binding. When it's done, I hope I can get the picture up. I'm still a computer cluck.

cmapco837 02-23-2010 05:36 AM

Please dont laugh but what is a HST stitch still trying to learn some of the abbr. So you just put the side and the bottom on each square then sew them all toghther?

Thanks carolyn

cmapco837 02-23-2010 05:39 AM

How big is the brown strips? OOps sorry I went back and read it again and I see that they are 2in is that right 2 x 9.5?

Thanks carolyn

Sharon M 02-23-2010 05:44 AM

Beautiful fabric and quilt :thumbup: No help on how to quilt it, but look forward to seeing it when you are finished. Great job so far!

Jingle 02-23-2010 05:47 AM

Gorgeous !!! I FMQ all my quilts and I love the finished quilts. I'm sure someone will tell you the perfect quilting to use on it. I only do FMQ.

GailG 02-23-2010 06:30 AM

Please dont laugh but what is a HST stitch still trying to learn some of the abbr. So you just put the side and the bottom on each square then sew them all toghther?

Thanks carolyn

Forgive me. I suppose I'm trying to be a big show-off in letting everyone know what I have learned on this board. (teeheehee) HST stands for half-square triangle. I make the square block (the HST block) first. Then I sew it to one of the window sills (don't really know the name for those pieces, that's just what I call them They're the green and light gold strips) to the corresponding side of the HST block. For instance I sewed the green side to the green strip. Then I sewed the gold strip to the window square (daisy print). Then I sewed the two pieces together. Does that make sense?

:lol: I'm sure there must be a tutorial for this technique somewhere on this board. Somebody "HELP!" Thanks. Gail

GailG 02-23-2010 06:36 AM

How big is the brown strips? OOps sorry I went back and read it again and I see that they are 2in is that right 2 x 9.5?

Thanks carolyn

Actually the brown strips are the same length of the whole block (all pieces together) --
12 1/2 inches. That's the vertical strips that are between each block. Then I measured horizontal width of the whole row of blocks and cut a strip to that measurement to place between each row. When if was all done, I put a border of the same brown around the whole thing. All brown strips were cut 2 inches.

You can make your own measurement for the blocks and make the sashing strips (the brown) match those measurements. It's your quilt -- it can be any size you want it to be.

cmapco837 02-23-2010 09:29 AM

Thank you so much for all your help Now all I have to figure out is how much material to buy.