Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My daughter needs your advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-daughter-needs-your-advice-t57384.html)

lilpoohbearie 08-01-2010 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my daughters very first ever made quilt. It is bright she is not happy with how it has turned out. She thinks it might get tamed down if she puts a black sashing around each pinwheel block. What is your advice to her? She is 16 and is very open to your opinion since my opinion is not valid he he teenagers!!!

DD's Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90015[/ATTACH]

kristen0112 08-01-2010 06:55 PM

I love it just the way it is I wouldn't add a black sash. Go

oatw13 08-01-2010 06:57 PM

I love it just how it is. (But I love bright, happy quilts!)

I think a black border will make the colors stand out even more but it would break it up a bit.

Try black sashing on a few of them and she can see how she likes it.

Much more advanced than the first quilt I made about that same age!

dkabasketlady 08-01-2010 07:01 PM

Black sashing will make the blocks really POP!! So, I'd leave it like it is!!! I think it's gorgeous being so Bright & Vibrant!!!

sewcrafty 08-01-2010 07:01 PM

IMHO black is going to make the colors pop even more. Is she wanting to tone down the colors or separate the design?

If she really wants to tone down the colors a beige/tan or gray would do that.

alaskasunshine 08-01-2010 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by lilpoohbearie
This is my daughters very first ever made quilt. It is bright she is not happy with how it has turned out. She thinks it might get tamed down if she puts a black sashing around each pinwheel block. What is your advice to her? She is 16 and is very open to your opinion since my opinion is not valid he he teenagers!!!

Perhaps she should ask her peers :lol: Certainly they know best :lol: :lol: :lol: Gee do they know how to thread a needle? I think the quilt looks great the way it is. So my bet is "she will sash it in black" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh my goodness I needed a good laugh!!!

Mary M 08-01-2010 07:17 PM

I think a border with one of tan and one of black would look good.

lilpoohbearie 08-01-2010 07:18 PM

So I told her the same thing :) She is accepting your advice and leaving it alone!!! I am really proud of her for making this it was her first attempt to quilt with out a pattern she just made it up as she went.

lilpoohbearie 08-01-2010 07:19 PM

You are so right!!!!!

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine

Originally Posted by lilpoohbearie

Perhaps she should ask her peers :lol: Certainly they know best :lol: :lol: :lol: Gee do they know how to thread a needle? I think the quilt looks great the way it is. So my bet is "she will sash it in black" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh my goodness I needed a good laugh!!!

sewgull 08-01-2010 07:20 PM

Lay a piece of black fabric next to the quilt. Then look at it for a couple of days from different angles.
She did good job, the colors or so bright. My style of quilt.