Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first ever completed block ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-ever-completed-block-t158970.html)

ScoutingSquirrel 10-08-2011 09:49 PM

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/Tray-bake

Now don't get sticky fingers on your sewing!

Thank you for your welcome and for your lovely responses!

I'm going to quilt these onto fleece as although I've bought batting and a backing sheet for my garden project I'm (more than) a little nervous about quilting it, even stitch in the ditch ... I'll be doing all these projects entirely by hand as I don't have a sewing machine and to be honest using the ones at school and the one at my MiL's (flet compeled to make a romper suit when expecting my first son!) bring out the worst in me, tetchy temper and swear words I never knew that I knew!

I think a fleece blanket backing will suit a lap quilt and I'm hoping to do Stitch in the Ditch and then to outline each little hat ... that was the only area where I was possibly going to put texture on - little hats in other textures on the back of the quilt ...

but acually I wonder whether giving her texture might have been done to death a bit and whether she might appreciate just tracing her finger over the sewing lines, or at least the joins between the patches ... I have previously given her a thick cable knitted cardigan (bought) and a wrap I made which was fleece on one side and velvet on the other, as well as a yarn tamer in treen (turned wood) as she is still knitting. In fact my first gift to her was some nice chunky knitting needles and some cotton yarn, she made 74 dishcloths that year and then moved on to re-covering all the cushions for the chairs in her church lobby, she's become much weaker since but has still been doing scarves, and blankets when someone will sew scarves together for her!

Poor love, she doesn't know what her purpose in life is - what use she can be - unless of course it's sorting out all the love-life and domestic problems of the staff and discussing their nursing training in comparision with nursing in her day, and dispensing, and district nursing, and midwifery, and ..... It's very lucky for us that Safety Reasons dictate that her cup of tea is taken into her room, as it means she gets up to about 20 mins of adult conversation from whichever member of staff she 'traps', LOL! Of course she gets lots of family and friends visiting as well, but as I'm in Sweden and she's in Yorkshire I don't go as often as we both would like.

Helen

ccrow99 10-09-2011 01:23 AM

What a beautiful story Squirrel!!! Congratulations on keeping your heritage alive and a really pretty block to show it.

vivoaks 10-09-2011 03:10 AM

Cute! Love the little guy! She's going to be very grateful when she receives it!
My grandma was the same way-every day, wondering why she was still here - grandpa died in 1966, and she hung on till 2000, at age 98-1/2!!

cyniree 10-09-2011 03:42 AM

Its so cute.

FERSID 10-09-2011 03:50 AM

Very Cute :lol: :lol:

NCquilter 10-09-2011 03:52 AM

So cute! She'll love it

Sewfine 10-09-2011 04:12 AM

That is beautiful, even though she can't see it she can feel the love that went into makings of her quilt.

sewmorethings 10-09-2011 04:22 AM

Cute as can be, make sure you post the completed quilt..

agoldencomet 10-09-2011 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by marymm
Cute...You probably have it all worked out, but since she's blind, you might try adding some tactile interest, maybe some yo-yos or buttons or minky (can't spell that!) or chenille fabric on the back or in a ssquare here or there. That way you could describe the special elements to her and she could touch them...

That said and ignore if you see fit, I think your block is really cute.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I love the little square and watched your video. I used to teach elkementary school and we had a unit on Christmas Around the World. Despite this, I have never heard of your little elves or rice pudding being a part of your Christmas celebrations. Always nice to learn something new.
Good luck with your quilt.

sew_meme 10-09-2011 04:58 AM

precious!