Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first free-motion quilting...still in progress (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-free-motion-quilting-still-progress-t19141.html)

Barb M 04-18-2009 12:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well here it is :) This is the big quilt i'm working on, and my first free-motion :) I did a lot of stitching in the ditch, because i know i'm safe doing that, and left a little room for free-motion--i'm loving free-motion :) So i did a cable type chain, not sure if i like that, but oh well, and then i got brave and did stipling on the outer border! And i think the stippling looks good :) So this is what i have done so-far. The big triangles around the centre rose, i have to put something in there, i'm thinking maybe a heart in each one? I could be brave and try a feathered heart, but i'm thinking not lol. And the two burgandy borders, they need some quilting, because part of those borders are where i joined my batting, and so they need some quilting on them. I dont know what im going to do on the burgandy. I will be using white thread on the burgandy too, so whatever i do on that will have to be something easy, because errors will show up on that easy. What about a wavy line, with tiny flowers every once-in-awhile??? I think i'm quite happy with it so far, and really enjoying the free-motion! :) :) :)
PS i'm think, lol i think too much lol, i have to quilt in the burgandy strips, because that is where i joined my quilt sections, sooo, i'm thinking a wavy line with flowers might not be secure enough???? I wonder, maybe i should be brave and do a feather on that...oh gosh, should i be that brave lol lol, i wonder which would be more secure for that?

Izy 04-18-2009 12:46 AM

Barb, your quilt is looking great!! Well done for braving the free motion, it really is fun once you get over the fear :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barb M 04-18-2009 12:47 AM

Thanks Izy, yes, it really is fun!

gcathie 04-18-2009 02:06 AM

I just love your quilt it is stunning....:-).....and it looks very nice from this angle.....:-).....you need my addy????.....;-)

Skeat 04-18-2009 02:59 AM

You have done an amazing job!! I would have thought you've done this for awhile....you have a great gift!!Skeat

a4Ohio 04-18-2009 03:07 AM

Barb I don't think I saw a pic of this quilt top completed. I know you struggled with the lay out. .... It came out BEAUTIFUL. And the free motion is wonderful. I"m just starting to free motion too and everytime I get a little off course I just take a breathe and say .... "Character, It adds character".

And I keep moving forward :)

sewsewquilter 04-18-2009 03:13 AM

Your guilt looks stunning. Isn't FM fun once you get started. I to didn't try it for the lonnngest because I was afraid. Now you can't stop me. LOL. It hard for me to think Sticthing in the ditch is enought quilting any more. LOL

Your waving line with flowers will be pretty in the burgandy strips. It should be enough quilting.

Glad you took the step to FM. :D I know it can be a hard one. It was for me. :D

littlehud 04-18-2009 06:38 AM

I think it looks wonderful. FM can be so much fun. Glad you like it too.

kluedesigns 04-18-2009 06:52 AM

this is awesome!!!

you are a bravo soul - this is a huge quilt to attempt your first FM on - i take my hat off to you.

amma 04-18-2009 09:51 AM

This is a beautiful quilt, love the pattern and the fabrics :D :D Your quilting is wonderful!!!! I would not know that this is your first time at free motion!!!!! Very impressive :D :D :D