Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first rag quilt...don't know if I'll do another (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-rag-quilt-dont-know-if-ill-do-another-t285644.html)

QUILTNMO 01-30-2017 12:58 PM

very nice!!!!

fred singer 01-30-2017 01:01 PM

nice work

peaceandjoy 01-30-2017 02:08 PM

Yours is one of the prettiest rag quilts I've ever seen! Love that you used the Christmas fabric and went with a row by row design rather than blocks. Looks soft and cozy!

barnbum 01-30-2017 02:19 PM

It's so pretty!! I've never seen one done in strips. Very cool. I've made 21 raggeds now--but all with squares. I don't have snipping scissors--just use regular ones. It is tough on the thumb. I have to wear a glove now.

Bjbaxter 01-30-2017 03:40 PM

Wow, that a lot of rag quilts. I made 2, and bought the special before I started the 2nd. It's too hard on the hands not to! I have a rollup of 6" wide flannel, perhaps I will try doing one with strips instead of squares.

Originally Posted by barnbum (Post 7753226)
It's so pretty!! I've never seen one done in strips. Very cool. I've made 21 raggeds now--but all with squares. I don't have snipping scissors--just use regular ones. It is tough on the thumb. I have to wear a glove now.

red-warrior 01-30-2017 05:26 PM

It turned out lovely and I bet your MIL loved it! I really appreciate all you have shared, I have bought some flannel but Have not started the quilt yet.

slbram17 01-30-2017 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Koriana (Post 7753032)
Everyone says that rag quilts are fast & easy...I'm not so sure...my first one was even made with strips...but Oh, how I struggled. It's fully reversible and directional so that was where I had to sew and rip and sew and rip. Then snipping the seams was not fun...I'd bought a pair of spring-loaded snippers which definitely helped but I bought a cheaper pair and paid for it after snipping about a third of the quilt and having to "reset" the snippers after every few cuts...if I ever do another rag quilt, I'm buying a higher quality pair. Also, no one had ever prepared me for just how much lint would be produced in that first wash...Wow!. With all that said and done, I am pleased with how it turned out and gifted it to my mother-in-law for Christmas. Hope you all enjoy seeing it and have more fun making rag quilts than I did.

great job....there is a lot of lint for sure.

minibarn 01-30-2017 07:39 PM

I have made several rag quilts also and I really like my Fons and Porter snippers. They are short, stubby things but do a great job and I don't recall any thumb fatigue. I bought them many years ago so I'm not sure if they even make those scissors any more.

I really like your quilt, never thought of doing rag rows!

Plee1053 01-30-2017 10:34 PM

It's very pretty! Sorry about problems! I know you MIL will enjoy it during the holidays! I bought fabric to make one but haven't started!

BrendaK 01-31-2017 12:09 AM

Lovely. I have yet to make one, even though I did purchase the scissors. Maybe I'll wait a little longer to start mine. I do hope it turns out as nice as yours. BrendaK