Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   MY FOLDED DAHLIA FINISHED (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-folded-dahlia-finished-t118008.html)

Bobbielinks 04-22-2011 04:33 PM

Simply gorgeous! It makes me want to make one.

julia58 04-22-2011 04:34 PM

Wow! You did a beautiful job on this. I just love how it turned out. Great job.

candlequilter 04-22-2011 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Beautiful job on your folded dahlia. I make one yesterday to using the tute dragonquilter posted. I really liked it, but being the economic minded person that I am (especially with the price of fabric going up) I think I am going to try doing it again with smaller squares for the first 2 or 3 rounds and work up to the 6" square for the last round. If I find that I need more fullness I might cut a diamon shape of extra leftover batting to put in each petal. Once I try it that way I will post both pictures to let everyone know if it worked or not.

Thanks for sharing,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

Sherryl, my fabrics were just pulled out of my stash & wasn't convinced they'd work. I have a feeling almost anything put together would look good.
I used dragonquilter's directions, too. but had a big prob. When I got down to the bottom 3 or 4 pcs. to put in, the bottoms wouldn't come together so I knew I was doing something wrong. Lori tried to help me but the only way I made it work was to fan out the lower pcs. to make them meet.
If somebody can clue me in on what I was doing wrong, I'd sure appreciate it. I'm excited about making another one but hope I can get around the prob. Lori's rows were perf. on her orange one.

When I first did mine using dragonquilters directions I started doing the double fold thing on all of the rounds instead of just the first one. I had the same thing as you where the ends didn't want to meet so I went back and re-read the directions and realized that you only do the double fold on the first row. Everything works out good then if you just do the single fold on all of the others.

Thanks,
Sherryl

xsquilter 04-22-2011 04:43 PM

I'm just loving this dahlia more & more each time I see it!
This is a beauty!
Maureen

4EVERquilt 04-22-2011 04:44 PM

What a wonderful job you did

dsb38327 04-22-2011 04:44 PM

That is awesome. So beautiful.

Pat G 04-22-2011 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G

Beautiful job on your folded dahlia. I make one yesterday to using the tute dragonquilter posted. I really liked it, but being the economic minded person that I am (especially with the price of fabric going up) I think I am going to try doing it again with smaller squares for the first 2 or 3 rounds and work up to the 6" square for the last round. If I find that I need more fullness I might cut a diamon shape of extra leftover batting to put in each petal. Once I try it that way I will post both pictures to let everyone know if it worked or not.

Thanks for sharing,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

Sherryl, my fabrics were just pulled out of my stash & wasn't convinced they'd work. I have a feeling almost anything put together would look good.
I used dragonquilter's directions, too. but had a big prob. When I got down to the bottom 3 or 4 pcs. to put in, the bottoms wouldn't come together so I knew I was doing something wrong. Lori tried to help me but the only way I made it work was to fan out the lower pcs. to make them meet.
If somebody can clue me in on what I was doing wrong, I'd sure appreciate it. I'm excited about making another one but hope I can get around the prob. Lori's rows were perf. on her orange one.

When I first did mine using dragonquilters directions I started doing the double fold thing on all of the rounds instead of just the first one. I had the same thing as you where the ends didn't want to meet so I went back and re-read the directions and realized that you only do the double fold on the first row. Everything works out good then if you just do the single fold on all of the others.

Thanks,
Sherryl

I discovered that, too. After doing single folds to begin with, I took a few off after being reminded to do the dbl. fold on the first row. I started doing the dbl. fold then found it wasn't really necessary. It didn't seem to make any difference when I blended my new dbl folds in with the previous single folds.

I hadn't caught that dbl fold in the directions.
I just don't see how dbl. folding the first row chgs. that spread. Tell me more. Lori's came out so perfectly that it's obvious I'm missing something. Guess I just have to do another one til my light bulb comes on. LOL

hperttula123 04-22-2011 04:53 PM

That is wonderful!!!

mimom 04-22-2011 04:56 PM

its beautiful

MDMPanther 04-22-2011 05:16 PM

Oh Pat....that is absolutely gorgeous!!! I was just looking at the tutorial last night and to see your's today in my fav color....I can't wait to do one!!! I LOVE IT!!!