Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Little Brown Bird Project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-little-brown-bird-project-t309362.html)

appleblossom 01-28-2020 11:30 AM

You will be just fine the way I look at your fabric collections, I can"t wait to see the finished product! thanks for sharing your thought!

nanna-up-north 01-30-2020 09:11 AM

It's very exciting to see someone starting the LBB. Congrats. I have 5 more blocks to go and I'll be done with mine. I have the corners and sides done and am working on the borders. I've been working on this quilt for years. I'm going to post a couple of my finished blocks in a bit.

I look forward to seeing how your blocks are coming along. And, I'm impressed if you can do these in one week. I'm much slower.

Iceblossom 01-30-2020 09:23 AM

How gorgeous and wonderful, my hand skills are bad and my vision is getting worse and so I don't see that changing. I'm in awe of your project and heartily commend you for figuring out how to make it work for you!

SewingSenior 01-30-2020 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 8356222)
It's very exciting to see someone starting the LBB. Congrats. I have 5 more blocks to go and I'll be done with mine. I have the corners and sides done and am working on the borders. I've been working on this quilt for years. I'm going to post a couple of my finished blocks in a bit.

I look forward to seeing how your blocks are coming along. And, I'm impressed if you can do these in one week. I'm much slower.

Nanna-up-north your previous posts showing your blocks (which are all awesome I might add) is what got me to thinking I might could do this amazing quilt. I am now working on block 2. This block has stuffed flowers, which I have never done before. How did you stuff your flowers and what material did you use to stuff them with. I've looked at a couple of youtube videos and found a method that I think might work for me, but I haven't tried it yet. Any advice on technique would be greatly appreaciated.

nanna-up-north 01-30-2020 05:20 PM

That's very sweet of you to say my blocks have inspired you. Thank you. One thing for sure, you learn making this quilt. I can see my progress as I continue to make blocks. I think I've improved as I've tried new things.

The stuffed flowers were done by cutting a piece of batting the size of the flower petals and then stuffing each petal. I didn't try to stuff the entire flower. I don't think I could have figured out how to do that. But, I stitched the petal on and then before closing up the last side, I'd use my toothpick to move the batting into place. Hope this helps.

SewingSenior 01-30-2020 05:59 PM

Nanna-up-north you are so right about learning, I'm only on my 2nd block and I'm already learning new things. I'll do a test flower or two and try your technique. I have tried the poly-fill and that didn't work at all. I know this will be a long, hard but .. process. Can't wait to see your last few blocks and hope I can show my last few before I'm 100 yrs old, lol.

Barb in Louisiana 01-30-2020 06:03 PM

Your block is beautiful! Love the birds.

pocoellie 02-03-2020 04:48 AM

You did a beautiful job and I'm sure the remaining blocks will be as beautiful. I can't even image working with applique pieces that small.

SewingSenior 02-03-2020 12:11 PM

LBB Block 2

2 Attachment(s)
I have finished block 2. After reading the book I thought there will be something new to learn on each block and on this one it was stuffed flower pedals. Not easy but not as hard as I thought it was going to be. First picture is Margaret Docherty's block and the 2nd picture is my block. I made several mistakes. First I traced my freezer paper straight from the book instead of making a trace paper copy and then marking the freezer paper from the back side of the copy. I found out I'm not a multi-tasker. I got side tracked while on the phone with my DD and placed my yellow/orange flower to low on the flower pot which left a big blank space in the pattern. I ended up repositioning the blue flowers and adding a butterfly to fill up the void.

Question - do you think I need to add more fill in the middle of the block?

nanna-up-north 02-04-2020 02:19 PM

Answer- absolutely not! Your butterfly is a wonderful addition and makes your block unique. I don't think any of my blocks look exactly like the ones in the book but I like them. I second guess myself all the time about it but I've decided this is my quilt and I'll make it like I want it to be.

Your stitches are looking very uniform and hidden. It's coming along so well.

You didn't ask but I'm going to give you a suggestion just the same. It's very hard to know where to place those pieces once the lines you drew become covered up. For that reason, I have made plastic overlays for some blocks to help me keep everything lined up the way it should be lined up. I just use a large ziploc bag and trace the block with a fine sharpie permanent marker. If I pin the plastic over the backing fabric and line up the tracing I can slip the little applique piece under the plastic to position it and then fold the plastic back out of the way to stitch the piece onto my block. Sometimes I trace the applique pieces and sometimes I trace the lines on the backing. But, I don't trace on both. You can never line up both lines perfectly. Okay, I'm done.

Gorgeous block. Can't wait to see the next.