Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My new "cover" to protect actual bed quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-new-%22cover%22-protect-actual-bed-quilt-t121208.html)

karensue 05-06-2011 06:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
HELLO
Since we have 2 small dogs that sleep at the bottom of the bed I don't want them touching the actual bed quilt or sheets, so I buy cheap sheets, embroider strips, cut everything up into quilt blocks, and then put together to make an "illusion " of a quilt to cover up and protect the real thing (sheets and quilt) at night (sleep) time. It washes up beautifully every week and my quilt is nice and safe.
Oh the things we do for our beloved animals.
Karen

Bed cover to go over quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]193632[/ATTACH]

Close up of embroidered blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]193633[/ATTACH]

hmay60 05-06-2011 06:46 AM

That's looks great.

Sharon - NC 05-06-2011 06:48 AM

If that's the cover you don't mind getting messed up by the dogs, I'd love to see the quilt underneath! I think it's really pretty!!

Yes, I agree, the things we do for our fur-children! :-)

erstan947 05-06-2011 06:49 AM

Smart move and so pretty. I would like that for the REAL quilt:)

Toto's Mom 05-06-2011 06:53 AM

If I WOOF! and wag my tail, would you make one for me??? lol
That is as pretty as any REAL quilt!!

Maia B 05-06-2011 06:59 AM

What machine and/or software did you use to make those blocks?! I need to get it!

QuiltnNan 05-06-2011 07:01 AM

lovely. good job

AngieS 05-06-2011 07:02 AM

Wow! Your dogs have it made! LOL :)

karensue 05-06-2011 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
What machine and/or software did you use to make those blocks?! I need to get it!

Thanks for the kind words.

Have to admit this was really easy. Since I only used one color for the embroidery designs (I've had collected for over 10 years so sorry I don't know where I got them), each design only took 2 to 4 minutes to embroider. I used my Baby Lock BMP6. I cut one long strip of fabric and marked cutting lines, then just embroideed one after another - saved on stabilizer this way. And instead of using sewing machine to sew blocks together I used my serger - every block was even and now I have that nice fancy serger strong seam on the back.

There are times I don't take it off, so one day I just figured if I have to look at it, I should just make something nice. I used to just put one big sheet over the real quilt.

The hardest thing for me was doing the borders. With even and odd blocks I couldn't get the line up correct - that took me 4 days to figure out. First I just wanted solid alternating colors, wasn't happy, then I made those into triangles, wasn't happy, then I cut up those triangles and made more triangles. Then had to figure out how to "connect" the corners. But am happy with the final results.

Karen

Maia B 05-06-2011 07:25 AM

Well, I won't be getting a BMP6. Actually, machine embroidery rarely interests me, but your blocks resemble sashiko, which I LOVE. But I really appreciate you explaining it and sharing this clever idea with us. Your bed cover is excellent on it's own, I can only imagine the quilt it's protecting. I love mangos, and a coworker once told me that the mangos here are what they feed to animals in her home country. I just thought, if these delicious mangos are considered animal feed there, the mangos people eat must be really heavenly!