Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My newphew's quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-newphews-quilt-t1936.html)

lin 08-19-2007 05:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I made this for my nephew when he got married. He said his favorite colors are black and blue/gray and he loves asian fabrics, so that's what I used. I didn't have enough fabric to do a 6 or 8 point kaleidescope, so I did a 4 point "posie" kaleidescope. You can't really tell what the blocks look like in the bigger pic, so I'll share a couple of the blocks too, and the all-over quilt design I used.

He was really happy with it. :)

lin 08-19-2007 05:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's one more block and the quilt design...

Yvonne 08-19-2007 06:05 PM

Lin,
Your quilt is beautiful. I was really just enjoying looking at it. Then I started looking at the individual blocks! WOW! I am just blown away by way the blocks are put together. I've seen this before somewhere but wasn't nearly as impressed as I am with yours. Thank you for sharing.
(And the 'to do' list just keeps on growing!)

SandraJennings 08-19-2007 06:05 PM

I love how you played the shapes in the blocks! they have taken flight with that winged look. Wonderful! :D, the quilting works great with it.

lin 08-19-2007 06:18 PM

Thanks! I appreciate it. :)

I did an 8 point using some fabric that dh picked up for me for Christmas one year. It's a landscape scene and I didn't know what to do with it since it would have ruined it to cut it up any other way than to use it in a kaleidescope. I'll try to get a pick of it soon. It's still just a top. LOL It's amazing what you can use to make these types of quilts. The ugliest fabric can become your new best friend. :mrgreen:

dungeonquilter 08-19-2007 06:29 PM

Hi, Lin
Your quilt is beautiful. I have done a hexagon kaliedascope, but what a great idea to do a 4 patch.
Debra

lin 08-19-2007 06:39 PM

Thanks Debra. :) I didn't have much choice on the 4 point though, so I almost hate to take any credit. :lol: I thought I'd gotten enough yardage according to the pattern, but forgot to measure the repeat. It was 23"!!! So, I only had enough fabric for four repeats, and had to set them on point to make it as large as it is. At first I was upset thinking I couldn't do what I wanted, but tried the 4 point anyway and wound up quite happy with it. :)

Flying_V_Goddess 08-19-2007 07:19 PM

I've only seen one other kaleidescope quilt (in a magazine, they used an ugly paisley fabric to make this gorgeous quilt) and I was fairly impressed. But I think I like your quilt better than the other one! I'm a fan of Asian fabrics, too, and I just love what you did with it! :mrgreen:

lin 08-19-2007 07:27 PM

Thank you Flying_V :)

annmarie 08-19-2007 08:56 PM

I'm not familiar with the kaleidescope technique, but it looks similar to a stack & whack. Is it? Nice quilt. Beautiful blocks.