Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My newphew's quilt

lin
    I made this for my nephew when he got married. He said his favorite colors are black and blue/gray and he loves asian fabrics, so that's what I used. I didn't have enough fabric to do a 6 or 8 point kaleidescope, so I did a 4 point "posie" kaleidescope. You can't really tell what the blocks look like in the bigger pic, so I'll share a couple of the blocks too, and the all-over quilt design I used.

He was really happy with it. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

lin
    Here's one more block and the quilt design...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lin,
    Your quilt is beautiful. I was really just enjoying looking at it. Then I started looking at the individual blocks! WOW! I am just blown away by way the blocks are put together. I've seen this before somewhere but wasn't nearly as impressed as I am with yours. Thank you for sharing.
    (And the 'to do' list just keeps on growing!)

I love how you played the shapes in the blocks! they have taken flight with that winged look. Wonderful! :D, the quilting works great with it.

lin
    Thanks! I appreciate it. :)

I did an 8 point using some fabric that dh picked up for me for Christmas one year. It's a landscape scene and I didn't know what to do with it since it would have ruined it to cut it up any other way than to use it in a kaleidescope. I'll try to get a pick of it soon. It's still just a top. LOL It's amazing what you can use to make these types of quilts. The ugliest fabric can become your new best friend. :mrgreen:

Hi, Lin
    Your quilt is beautiful. I have done a hexagon kaliedascope, but what a great idea to do a 4 patch.
    Debra

lin
    Thanks Debra. :) I didn't have much choice on the 4 point though, so I almost hate to take any credit. :lol: I thought I'd gotten enough yardage according to the pattern, but forgot to measure the repeat. It was 23"!!! So, I only had enough fabric for four repeats, and had to set them on point to make it as large as it is. At first I was upset thinking I couldn't do what I wanted, but tried the 4 point anyway and wound up quite happy with it. :)

I've only seen one other kaleidescope quilt (in a magazine, they used an ugly paisley fabric to make this gorgeous quilt) and I was fairly impressed. But I think I like your quilt better than the other one! I'm a fan of Asian fabrics, too, and I just love what you did with it! :mrgreen:

lin
    Thank you Flying_V :)

I'm not familiar with the kaleidescope technique, but it looks similar to a stack & whack. Is it? Nice quilt. Beautiful blocks.

lin
    Yes, it's the stack and whack technique. I'm not sure but I think there is actually another technique that is called kaleidescope, and there's a special ruler for cutting out the pieces. Not sure. Maybe both techniques are called that. But it looks like a kaleidescope, so that's what I've always called the stack and whack.

It's lovely Lin and, love the way you've used your fabrics and your quilting is just georgeous. Wish I could machine quilt like that (sigh) I know.... practice. Can hand quilt ok but machine quilting is still a bit rough. Got heaps of tops, would you like to do some for me :mrgreen:

lin
    :) Thank you Shelly. Yep, practice! I got frustrated for the longest time, but I'm glad I didn't give up. It does get easier. Make up some fat-quarter-sized practice blocks with muslin and leftover batting and just let yourself go. I went through a million of those, but got smoother and more confident as I did them, and tried different movements and designs. I still have a long way to go and still practice new ways to move fabric around.

I'll do your "heaps" after I finish my own "heaps". Deal? :lol:

That is a gorgeous quilt, I like everything about it, you do great work :-)

lin
    Thanks Ruth. It's nice of you to say so. :)

Morning Lin,
    Beautiful beautiful and you figured out the picture thing! I'm sure he and his wife are enjoying this quilt!

Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by lin
    I'll do your "heaps" after I finish my own "heaps". Deal? :lol:
    Itsa Deal :lol:

lin
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellyQ
    Its a Deal :lol:
    Uh ohhhhhhh... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Lin very beautiful, love your blocks , love the quilt. Oh i wish i could do that kind of quilting.

lin
    Oh but you can!! Just be willing to practice. Get some muslin and some scrap batting, make a little sandwich and doodle for awhile now and then with your machine. You'd be amazed how quickly you can pick it up. You should see some of my first efforts!...OUCH!!!! :lol: But as time went on, I got more and more confident and less scared of what the machine might do.
    Thank you for the compliments. :)

I just love your quilt. I have been admiring stack and wack quilts for a while now. Are they hard to make? Do you know of any free sites on the net that explain how to do this? Yours sure it beautiful. If you nephew doesn't like it I'll be more than happy to take if off your hands. Great job with the quilting also. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Very impressed with your machine quilting! I have tried some but mine looked nothing like that! WOW

Very impressed with your machine quilting! I have tried some but mine
    looked nothing like that. WOW!

lin
    Quote Originally Posted by ccbear66
    I just love your quilt. I have been admiring stack and wack quilts for a while now. Are they hard to make? Do you know of any free sites on the net that explain how to do this?
    Hi ccbear. No, they really aren't that hard to make at all. And I think the results are worth the little bit of time and trouble it takes to set it all up for cutting. That's the longest part to me. After that, it's just piecing as usual. You can have a lot of fun turning the blocks every which way to see what way looks best! Four this little 4 point one, I had all four sides to choose from. Thought I'd never stop playing with the blocks. LOL

You just have to make sure that you get enough yardage to get the amount of points that you want to make. The pattern repeat on my fabric was 23", so even at three yards, I didn't have enough yardage to get more than 4 repeats out of it. I was wanting to do 8. Hopefully the site I posted below will give clear instructions on that for you.

Here's a site that might be good for teaching you how to do it. Lots of pics and explanations.

http://www.bobrow.net/kimberly/Quilts/AllNightClass/index1.html

lin
    Thank you BDor! :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast