Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My son is amazing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-son-amazing-t311076.html)

EmiliasNana 05-22-2020 06:01 AM

He is amazing and so determined. Kudos to both of you for a new shared interest............for life.

osewme 05-22-2020 06:18 AM

! It looks like he is a natural when it comes to quilting. It's amazing to me how a first time quilter can make something that would have taken a long time quilter ages to accomplish. I'd say he has found his place in the quilting world. Congratulations to him on a job well done with that Jenny Beyer block & congrats to you for your excellent teaching so he understands through text messages!

juliasb 05-22-2020 06:31 AM

He surely is a fast learner! I am so glad to see that he is jumping right in. This will definitely keep him busy while at home this way. I am wondering what he will start next?

rvsfan 05-22-2020 06:49 AM

He is amazing.. Triangles are not usually for beginners. I've been quilting for 15 years and still avoid them. I hope he continues to make beautiful things.

BonnieJP 05-22-2020 08:03 AM

Wow! You're right - he is amazing. Beautiful work and colors.

ckcowl 05-22-2020 09:12 AM

Thanks everyone for your kind words. He was always my Rainbow- Star child and now in his 40’s he is showing me he never let that go. What amazes me is he grabs a sheet of graph paper, sketches something he’s seeing in his mind then just grabs fabric and creates it. Usually he sends me a picture— look what I did—- sometimes I get that one....what did I do wrong? Or why won’t this work...
he challenges me.
he is talking about learning how to work on sewing machines then looking into a new job in a sewing shop of some sort- where he could fix machines and sew. I hope the right opportunity comes his way.
he needs a creative outlet- it makes him happy.

raysosher 05-22-2020 09:45 PM

You must be so lucky to have a son this talented. Not only he quilts so well but also just look at the color combinations. He is really talented and has everything what it needs to be a great quilt designer. Best wishes for you guys.

pbraun 05-23-2020 03:20 AM

That is phenomenal! Did he have any previous experience with sewing? He must have to be so good so quickly

ckcowl 05-23-2020 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by pbraun (Post 8387520)
That is phenomenal! Did he have any previous experience with sewing? He must have to be so good so quickly

not much, he and his girlfriend one summer spent time with me, making summer beach quilts. He knew how to use a machine- I used to say all the boys were natural at sitting down at a sewing machine and just getting it.
the one I ordered & sent him last November he just got out the book with it, started at the beginning- tried out every stitch, foot, feature then dove in to make his first mask.
i used to pull fabrics for a French braid quilt or bargelloand know they were not quite right. I would lay them out and wait for him or my nephew to stop by. One of them would come in I’d show them what I wanted to do and say- these are the fabrics I picked.
they would walk over start pulling out wrong ones, replace them, sometimes take the whole pile away & start over- then say there you go & leave. Could always put the perfect combination together

bjgallent 05-23-2020 07:01 AM

Wow. did not take him long to figure all this out. I am still figuring it all out.