Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My son is amazing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-son-amazing-t311076.html)

ckcowl 05-21-2020 12:42 PM

My son is amazing

5 Attachment(s)
My oldest son - in Lexington, Kentucky- lost his job the end of March when things first started shutting down in his area. After a few days of stress he got out the new sewing machine I had sent him last November for his birthday- which he had not had time to check out. He spent a couple days playing with all the different stitches it had, learning the machine, getting comfortable with it. Then he started making masks, playing with different styles, sizes, types- wound up making masks for his wife & coworkers, his boss & many other people. Then he told me, I’d like to make a quilt. When he told me he had started playing with it I had put together a ( care package) with tools, notions, rulers and a bunch of fabric. Pretty soon he was playing with 1/2 square triangles and designing a quilt. Then last week he sent me a picture of a Jinny Beyer quilt he found and said he wanted to make that. He had a ( jelly roll) of teal & purple solids. He told me he had cut up a bunch of the strips into 2 1/2” squares to get a head start. I said Oh No! Stop, you don’t use squares, the fabrics are diamonds cut at 45*.
I was going to show him, but he didn’t have time. This morning he sent me a picture and said- ok, what did I do wrong?
I sent him a text message telling him that pinning was important and explained how to pin the segments together. In About 5 minutes he sent a new picture- Perfect!
I let him know I had to leave for therapy but would check back in when I got home in case he had any other questions.
when I got home he was ( is) on a roll! I’m amazed how fast he catches on with just an occasional text.
first pic is the 1/2 square triangle quilt he made, then his ( what did I do wrong), then the *got it*. Then what I saw when I got home.

bearisgray 05-21-2020 12:46 PM

He sure did "get it"! Nice work!

cjsews 05-21-2020 02:10 PM

Wow. Such a quick study. Wonderful job

Barb in Louisiana 05-21-2020 02:32 PM

I can only say !!! He is a super quick learner. I still fight those Lone Star look blocks. Seems like I need to get some lessons from you. haha

my-ty 05-21-2020 03:09 PM

Wonderful! He has found a great way to keep busy and is producing amazing results. I hope he continues with his quilting. (Excellent coaching too.)

Tartan 05-21-2020 03:21 PM

A quitter has been born! Well done!

pocoellie 05-21-2020 04:02 PM

He's sure off to a great start!!!!!!!!!!

Ginaky 05-21-2020 04:13 PM

He did great! I'm in Richmond, first town down I-75 south of Lexington. I go to Sew A Lot at Hamburg for most of my stuff. If he needs anything, tell him they are great! There area also several other good stores in Lexington--Thomas Sewing Center and Quilter's Square. And Birdsong Quilting in Georgetown.

Rhonda K 05-21-2020 04:16 PM

Great job with his new adventures. Good for him to learn new skills.

GEMRM 05-21-2020 05:05 PM

He really caught on quick and caught the "bug" just as quickly it seems! I hope he continues to quilt!