Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My sorry attempt at a mini-bargello (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-sorry-attempt-mini-bargello-t36920.html)

BKinCO 02-17-2010 07:12 AM

Update on the quilting:

I'm putting that darned thing away for a day or two so I can look at it with fresh eyes later :) I'm sick of looking at it. I got one half of it quilted with an "x" in each square. Then I started on the other half. Went to town. Got it almost completed only to remember to look on the back :( My tension was off and I need to rip out several rows of stitching.... :(

Can seam rippers get worn out???

So...........yet another lesson learned for the future. CHECK THE BACK as you go :) And, Rachel, I am not sure about a full sized quilt, but if I did another wallhanging I would not do each individual block. I'm not thrilled with the way it's looking. Not that I have a good answer for how I would have done it, but I'm not wild about this.

I'll post pictures when it's finally done......hopefully this weekend.......

Rachelcb80 02-17-2010 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Update on the quilting:

I'm putting that darned thing away for a day or two so I can look at it with fresh eyes later :) I'm sick of looking at it. I got one half of it quilted with an "x" in each square. Then I started on the other half. Went to town. Got it almost completed only to remember to look on the back :( My tension was off and I need to rip out several rows of stitching.... :(

So...........yet another lesson learned for the future. CHECK THE BACK as you go :) And, Rachel, I am not sure about a full sized quilt, but if I did another wallhanging I would not do each individual block. I'm not thrilled with the way it's looking. Not that I have a good answer for how I would have done it, but I'm not wild about this.

Putting things away for a few days can definitely help calm the nerves. I hope all goes better when you pull it back out. It's a very pretty top and deserves a proper finish. :)

In the links that Barb posted above it looks like a lot of those bargellos were quilted in every other row. I just don't know. If I felt more confident in my free motion ability I'd throw some pretty swirls and loops on this one. I'm a great stippler, just don't know about other patterns. Going with the corner to corner method seemed safe. :P But now that you said you weren't crazy about it, I'm thinking twice....

Oklahoma Suzie 02-17-2010 09:21 AM

looks good

BKinCO 02-17-2010 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80

Update on the quilting:

Putting things away for a few days can definitely help calm the nerves. I hope all goes better when you pull it back out. It's a very pretty top and deserves a proper finish. :)

In the links that Barb posted above it looks like a lot of those bargellos were quilted in every other row. I just don't know. If I felt more confident in my free motion ability I'd throw some pretty swirls and loops on this one. I'm a great stippler, just don't know about other patterns. Going with the corner to corner method seemed safe. :P But now that you said you weren't crazy about it, I'm thinking twice....

I haven't had the chance to look at those websites yet...but just based on what I see in my quilt......I LOVE the look of the "x"'s on the smaller pieces, but not so much on the larger ones. FMQ would look great but I'm not brave enough to try that yet.....

Ellen 1 02-17-2010 10:51 PM

I was inspired by Eddie to give this a whirl, so I'm blaming it all on him..........working with some of these tiny pieces was so much harder than I anticipated.....If you don't look too closely it looks ok......Now for the quilting....

Of course, now that the picture is up I can see where I sewed one whole strip upside down. Oh well.......Apparently I'm going to have one backwards thing per quilt....

I had to "search" for it....if you hadn't said anything, I'd have never noticed. Ellen

mary 02-18-2010 05:12 PM

with the colors you have chosen, this quilt has a 3-d look. very pretty

charvan 02-20-2010 02:40 PM

This quilt is gorgeous! The colors are stunning together, and the pattern just moves. Just beautiful.

Ditter43 02-20-2010 02:42 PM

Nothing sorry about it...why do you think so?..Good contrast and movement...colors look good tog....so what's the problem?

Ditter

johnniek 02-21-2010 01:11 PM

You know it is beautiful. And who cares if you made a boba, we all do. beautiful colors.

BKinCO 02-21-2010 01:14 PM

Thanks all! It's still sitting in my other sewing chair. I've picked up a few other projects for a few days and I'll come back to the bargello. I have way too much time invested to let it go at this point, I just needed a break :)